Defence Secretary responds to criticism over Navy tankers order

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Every single project overspend/exspensive cancellation can be laid firmly at the door of a British defence company - why should we continue this trend.....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Only downside about not using Fincantieri is the 1st crew don't get to go on subbies in Venice or Trieste as that is where their two finishing yards are.

4. Silverfox. You mean apart from political and Treasury interference, Customer 1 indecision and short term thinking hampering long term capability?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Don't get your knickers in a twist, only the hulls are being built abroad. The reason being we can't be trusted to build them within budget and in time, ourselves. Our overpaid and mismanaged docks aren't up to it.

6. I quite agree - they started building Hull in the late 12th Century and they still haven't finished it (and most of what they have done is cr4p! - I quite like the Marina though)

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Since when did Customer 1 get a meaningful say. Short term thinking is invariably a reaction to the long term failure to deliver - its the incorrect knee jerk answer which causes more problems downstream and I totally get your point.

However none of the above would occur without the UK defence industries ambition to screw the MOD for as much as possible, because that's always how it's been.

I listened to Lord Drayson expound his visions for procurement which included the recruiting of the right people, but until you pay as much as the industry, then that's where the bright people go. Peanuts and monkeys etc

I'm happy to bet that MARS comes in on budget and to time and the politicians, Treasury and Customer 1 will still be the same.

8. Indeed, MARS isn't that complex and should go like clockwork. That is until some bright bugger decides that it needs to be Chinook capable.

In all fairness, I think the MoD and Industry are equally guilty of programme drift and cost overruns. I would also suggest that the Treasury and No 10 are totally culpable of triggering many of them.

9. True dit - we've asked the ship builder to slow down as we can't afford to pay for them as quickly as they are built. This may, or may not, introduce extra costs into the project.....