Defence Secretary Resigns

This might deserve a new thread, but this one may still fit the bill. .

Whilst agreeing that sexual abuse is not a light matter, the dragging up of ancient allegations may produce ludicrous results, not far from the "compensation culture" allegations which sprang up in the wake of the Saville affair.

If a lady, or a gentleman, felt uncomfortable with someone's behaviour, the time to do something about it was then. A put-down, slap (or a glass of wine in the face if necessary) should have been be enough to stop unwanted behaviour or actions.

To make a fuss years later throws up the suspicion that the complaint is being made for dubious reasons - possibly financial.

We now also get a problem with people embarking on relationships. Someone has to make the first move; if the move is apparently accepted, then the man or woman making it can proceed to the next step.

If the move is NOT accepted, then the person making it is given a message which they should respect. The potential relationship proceeds no further.

Now, though, with retrospective punitive action a definite possibility, that first move becomes somewhat dangerous for the instigator. Take this to its logical conclusion, and the human race will become extinct.

I'm racking my brains to think of women who took advantage of me in the past, and who have become famous and/or rich.

There's only one problem.......

Whilst agreeing that sexual abuse is not a light matter, the dragging up of ancient allegations may produce ludicrous results, not far from the "compensation culture" allegations which sprang up in the wake of the Saville affair.

If a lady, or a gentleman, felt uncomfortable with someone's behaviour, the time to do something about it was then. A put-down, slap (or a glass of wine in the face if necessary) should have been be enough to stop unwanted behaviour or actions.

To make a fuss years later throws up the suspicion that the complaint is being made for dubious reasons - possibly financial.

We now also get a problem with people embarking on relationships. Someone has to make the first move; if the move is apparently accepted, then the man or woman making it can proceed to the next step.

If the move is NOT accepted, then the person making it is given a message which they should respect. The potential relationship proceeds no further.

Now, though, with retrospective punitive action a definite possibility, that first move becomes somewhat dangerous for the instigator. Take this to its logical conclusion, and the human race will become extinct.

I'm racking my brains to think of women who took advantage of me in the past, and who have become famous and/or rich.

You have highlighted one of the many differences between men and women there. Women can take note of a small interaction which seemed insignificant at the time and recall it distinctly 10,15,20 years later whereas men confine themselves to remembering what seems to them important stuff and the finer details are quickly forgotten. We've all experienced it with long term partners where something we said years ago is thrown back at us to score a point in an argument about something current.

...... We've all experienced it with long term partners where something we said years ago is thrown back at us to score a point in an argument about something current.
Does that ring a bell! And before the Mods react - Fishhead did mention current, which keeps it on thread.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger

The wrens used to deal with it thus.
If a hand was left on a thigh from someone she didn't fancy her legs were crossed and uncrossed until the man (perhaps woman) got the message.
If, on the other hand it was by someone she fancied---"I'll give you 24 hours to remove your hand and if you don't then. I'll give you another 24 hours.