Defence Secretary Resigns

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
22894042_1547812375304272_3283079387367305034_n.jpg

A good vacancy for Richard Drax, MP for South Dorset Ex Army and Ex Journo (TV) so not the usual career politician, also a wealthy man so maybe in a position to be his own man.

Not the best of stories for our Defence Department but reassuring to hear that the honourable thing to do was done, most rare in political circles nowadays.

His resignation is 'specially piquant if it is to believed that he was the same person who recently carpeted the 1st Sea Lord (?) over the unsatisfactory VIGILANT ermm, situation(s)

I wonder whether he walked or was shoved, the current allegations are not great but I don't think they would collapse a career?

I wonder if his party knows something we don't...? :rolleyes:

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Yes, no doubt Her Majesties Armed Forces will be blessed with another equally ineffective and incompetent "jerk off".
He or she will need to be exceptionally useless to be more ineffective than those of recent years. Like Noel Coward said referring to the London Store--
A bit more Marshall and a little less Snelgrove

Seadog

War Hero
I wonder if he'll lose his knighthood if the allegations are enough for him to resign.
No more than anyone goes to jail because of an allegation. Evidence and proof are required.

Behaviour unbecoming and a conviction result in a review by the Honours Forfieture Committee and from my observations, no one leaves jail with any Honours Bling.

Rt. Hon. Gavin Williamson CBE MP
Member of Parliament for South Staffordshire
Gavin Williamson is a surprise choice to be the new defence secretary. The 41-year-old has been the MP for South Staffordshire since 2010 and is a former Parliamentary aide to David Cameron.

He has been chief whip - in charge of party discipline - since July last year. BBC

Last edited: