Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Defence Recruiting System (DRS) Feedback request

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
We'd very much appreciate tri-service feedback to highlight the issues people are having with the new Defence Recruiting System (DRS) since it launched on Monday 13th November.

So far, most of the problems highlighted to the contracted company are from an AFCO angle, but it is appreciated it maybe equally as frustrating from an applicant's perspective and are also pretty certain we are potentially losing dozens, if not hundreds of applicants on a tri-service basis due to the software issues.

For those having snags, applying to join any arm of the UK Armed Forces, regular, reserve or auxilliary, please contribute to this thread, explaining your issues and a timeline of delays to date so that they can be fed back to the contracted software company.

The far from ideal solution in the interim, is talk to your local AFCO also as many are now manually processing applications - bearing in mind most are closed between 22nd December and 02 January.

For those wishing to apply to join the UK Armed Forces on or after 13 November 2017, please add your experience to this thread, good or bad.

Many thanks.

I have managed to access the application form online, but I have been unable to submit it due to a 500 error, which, despite dozens of attempts, appears to be impossible to resolve. I have tried different browsers and both Apple and Windows systems, but to no avail.

Should I fill in and post a paper application form?

Bugger.
I assume feedback on the pre-November process is no longer required then?
It does no harm to add to the mix for a balanced viewpoint but the main thrust is to identify bugs in the new system so they can be addressed.

Legacy candidates already in the system are very much urged to give feedback on their application having re-registered and progress made since 13th Nov - it all helps.

I have managed to access the application form online, but I have been unable to submit it due to a 500 error, which, despite dozens of attempts, appears to be impossible to resolve. I have tried different browsers and both Apple and Windows systems, but to no avail.

Should I fill in and post a paper application form?
Can you upload a screenshot of the error message (editing out your personal details)?

I'll forward your issue.

Excellent, thank you. I'll send links to this thread to our IT boffins and the contract military liaison team so that they can investigate further.

The company believe a lot of the problems relate to the limited bandwidth of the military intranet which AFCOs use whereas many believe the issue is the servers, on which DRS is hosted, having insufficient capacity.

The 500 error points to the server and as you are presumably using standard civilian broadband wi-fi, the bandwith claim is at best dubious.

I applied for ET(ME) at the end of December (Edit: should say November), and while I submitted the form just fine and got the first do not reply email, I haven't heard a thing since. No further emails, no phone calls (unless I've missed them all).

Given I'd already applied for Warfare Officer, it may cause a few extra headaches as my AFCO said to re apply and then, at the earliest opportunity, get it on my application that I've already applied and so don't need to redo the psychometric test and the medical, but I haven't had a chance to do so.

It's not a huge worry for me (I know just visiting the office should get the ball rolling again), as I'm still in college, so quickly getting through the process isn't necessary, but best I share my problems here anyway. Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
I applied for ET(ME) at the end of December, and while I submitted the form just fine and got the first do not reply email, I haven't heard a thing since. No further emails, no phone calls (unless I've missed them all).

Given I'd already applied for Warfare Officer, it may cause a few extra headaches as my AFCO said to re apply and then, at the earliest opportunity, get it on my application that I've already applied and so don't need to redo the psychometric test and the medical, but I haven't had a chance to do so.

It's not a huge worry for me (I know just visiting the office should get the ball rolling again), as I'm still in college, so quickly getting through the process isn't necessary, but best I share my problems here anyway. Hope this is useful.
One thing I've noticed is if you have had a previous application, the system tells you that you already have an application underway - even if you don't!

Maybe worth checking the usual junk mail folders just in case but the best bet is to give the 03456 07 55 55 number a call just to check your new application has been received and "handed-off" to your AFCO - to my reckoning there's about a 50/50 chance there's no record of your latest application.

Good luck.

Merry Christmas, everyone! Or season's greetings, as you prefer!

There have been plenty of problems with the RN application website and I've been trying to submit the form (I was able to complete it, but not submit).

Has anyone else had the same problem and managed to solve it?

Many thanks!

Latest Threads