Defence Journal: "The SDSR: A Crossroads For The Royal Navy"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Aug 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Defence Journal: "The SDSR: A Crossroads For The Royal N

That actually makes me feel somewhat better about my future and does make a lot of sense.

I think all this negative press about massive job cuts and the like has got quite a few people spooked, despite most of it being typical media hype at present.

I guess time will tell.
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Hang around here long enough and the gloom britain brigade will have you joining a Bridgend cult.
  3. Interesting CV of the author. I'm not sure I'd give his views much credence....
  4. What he completely misses though is the "too few" platforms" was not the intent of the programme(s). Was the number of T45s not cut time and again from 12 to 6 (Was the A class not originally also supposed to be 12?). He is correct about asymmetric warfare but surely the answer is to provide close in protection in the form of heavily armed(probably automated weaponry) light patrol ships of some description? ISTR that the Soviet AL ASM threat was never effectively countered by SAMs and it is the same issue with 20 fast, HE laden boats attacking RN ships in confined waters.