Defence Intranet Start-Up Page- depressing?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by off_les_aura, Dec 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may be a controversial comment to make. Is anyone else getting a little bit depressed with seeing news of yet another dead Serviceman thrust into their face at 0800 every morning when you switch on your PC at work? I think it is de-sensitising and demoralizing. Anyone agree?

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

What the fuc* do you want Wincy Willis - it the news ffs, Get a grip!

3. Use tipex to hide the headline then

4. I agree, every day all I see is X amount of soldiers dead in afghan/iraq, while it is news and I hope it never becomes so commonplace and accepted that it's not reported anymore, I would rather see something else now and again.

5. No, it ought to be the most prominent headline. Have a word with yourself if you disagree.

6. Well, it's depressing but they absolutely should be there along with their photos and citations from Commanders and oppos. I read them all.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst I'd agree it desensitises and there is a line between being respectful & maudlin, the simple fact is that it is happening (whatever the political opinion) and it is right that everyone on the MOD intranet is fully aware of the nature of the business we are in.

8. Dont really have a problem with it myself.
    However, I wish the news would also report the amount of other casualties, not just those who've died.
    (Or is that not really news?)

9. I would like the news to report also the good things our boys and girls are doing in the forces more often as well!

10. If I didn't know better you'd think only bad stuff ever goes on with the forces. Only on the occasion someone recieves a commendation for bravery and that's it.

11. It's the same with the bloody news.

Constant crap trying to depress us at breakfast.

Nothing positive.. at all.

12. If it is an issue change your home page!

I work for the MoD and I select the MoD news. I don't have it thrust upon me.

We all have choices.

Personally I find the MoD news a better platform than some of the main news sources, BBC etc.

13. What really p*sses me off is (no offence intended) that it is always 'The Army' this and 'The Army' that. Everybody that is out in either Irag or Afghanistan is doing a brilliant job under generally horrendous conditions. This month's RNA Circular provides a brilliant breakdown of ALL UK Service personnel involved, and Jolly Jack and his Booty chums are right up there with a very high percentage. BZ to Paddy McClurg for highlighting this point.Read it at the RNA website. The media need to recognize there are 3 Services, much as they need to recognise that there are 4 constituent countries in the UK and I am NOT English, but don't mind being called British! So well done to all the dark blues out in hot places, keep your heads down!

14. Frankly I can't believe this item has been posted. We are the Armed Forces and those killed are our own. But for the grace of God it could be any of us. We should be proud to recognise the sacrifices on the front page of the Defence Intranet.

IMHO the really depressing thing about these deaths is that in most cases it barely merits a small note on page eight or beyond in most of the papers and it doesn't even make the headlines on the main news bulletins.

SF

15. I work in a position where information is directly
    available from JFMEDGP. The news is sad news alright,
    but THAT is not even the tip of the sodding Iceberg.

That is all I have to say.

16. I knew this would create controversy. I just wanted to say that even though it me equally sad and proud to read about these poor men and women and the sacrifice they have made, there is a danger that it de-sensitizes the issue when it is in your face every morning. It's a bit like the news. I can remember back in the 80's when it was headline news when Yvonne Fletcher (a policewoman) was killed. Now we don't seem to bat an eyelid when pictures of slaughtered civilians in a Mumbai hotel are shown on the 6 o'clock news.

17. I'd like to say I agree with off_les_aura. I'd much rather hear about Madonna and Guy Ritchie's divorce settlement as I'm waiting for the office coffee percolator to build up a good head of steam, followed by a nice piece on Take That appearing on the Royal Variety Show to settle me in for a good day of chair polishing. Cock.