Defence Gateway

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Guns, May 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Anyone used it?

Great for me as I am on LFS and find it useful to catch up with pay statements etc.

The email facility is nice as I now have a fancy RN one that I can use - no access to DII and people like an offical type email address for some stuff.

Would be interested to hear if people use it and what they make of it.
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. I use MoDBox for taking some work home with me.
  3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I'll make sure your 1RO knows your committment.

I do like MoDBox for working on some my after hours work. It would be good to advertise this more, while the security levels are the same as Dropbox etc it does mean the information resides on our data farms not Microsofts or worse Google.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Why, because it's easier for GCHQ to read it then?
  5. Didn't even know about it. Being that my Dii laptop always shits the bed I'll look into this.
  6. I am having problems with the system today, anyone else or am I being a computer fud?
  7. I use it for access to JPA pay statements, but until my CSM starts putting daily orders online, that's the only use I have found for it. I find using my @royalnavymail outbox will not work when set to my iphones mail app and is connected over wifi, but works fine over 3g. I do think Defence Connect is a massive spaghetti of things and is very confusing at first glance (why do I need to see xtm's from HMS Flying fox or HMS President on my home page?). It took me about 3 or 4 hours to work out how to use it, god knows how my non tech wise peers will find it if ever they find a need to log on.
  8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yup. I use it for ACF stuff (Westminster) and my MoD email.

The odd thing is i can access my email at work but not Westminster. Not sure why especially as i used to be able to access Westminster on it.

That aside, it's alright and fairly user friendly.
  9. As a reservist it's fantastic, and has managed to fix an awful lot of the information sharing problems that were previously going on.

Whilst seeing other unit's XTMs on the homepage isn't that useful (though it's really a configuration issue) it's fantastic for "writing" your own. The biggest benefit for me has been the wider appreciation of opportunities that previously weren't well circulated. Things like exchange programmes, conferences, AT etc, which should be a major aspect of retention are much visible now.
  10. I use it for DefStans and ASG (AOF) stuff
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

For Johnny reservist it is pretty useful as you probably only have access to a DII machine once per week, I reckon that they key to the Defence Connect bit of Defence Gateway is to follow only the groups pertinent to you so that you see what is happening in them and can ignore the rest. It is still quite new so will no doubt change over time (hopefully for the better). Better access to information at all levels is a key factor in making any organisation more flexible, which is currently the subject matter of another thread...
  12. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

One of the little quirks of the Defence Gateway is that it is not accessible from DII(F).....
  13. It is if you have access to EGS /civvy internet on DII.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Not quite correct, as NM has already said. It is the DGW email application which is disabled when accessing from DII.
  15. Which is bloody hilarious when you end up traipsing round Faslane trying to find a non DII computer in order to be able to access a document that has suddenly become vitally important.
  16. Why's that? If it's vital/ official, it should be in the MODbox (a rebranding of Dropbox) which is accessible on DII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Some things have a habit of only becoming vitally important when a jobsworth playing "I need a hard copy of that" makes them so. Up until that point my email filing system works fine.

Now if there was a button to press which magically moved a document from the email client to MODbox I'd be a happy bunny...
  18. Seen off by the Writers perchance?
  19. Jack Dusty, but good try!
  20. It is interesting to see what you can find on there.