Defence Committee launches web forum on Forces medical care

rockape34

Badgeman
Re: Defence Committee launches web forum on Forces medical c

Titus_Aduxars said:
I've posted a rebuttal to our esteemed fellow eConsultation contributor flyonthewall which should clear the moderator, provided he/she doesn't read between the lines!

By the way, my PERSEC borders on the paranoid, so I go by a different username on the eConsultation (and other forums).

Keep bumping this. The mods on e-goat (according to a PM from one of 'em) seem quite happy to tolerate the bumping of this one on there, so hopefully they will do on here too.

45 responses so far. We can do better!

seen it - excellent post, but it took a long time for the mods to pass it.

Titus_Aduxars

Midshipman

We're getting beyond bumping now folks.

The chariman himself has waded into the debate appealing for a bit of balance in the debate, which seems to his view to lean almost exclusively toward bringing back military hospitals (no sh*t Sherlock). They do say "give the people what they want" but it clearly doesn't apply to politicians.

We need some rational, reasoned argument applied to this eConsultation - and we need it NOW!

Get on it! :salut:

Titus_Aduxars

Midshipman

A whole week gone by and not a dickie-bird. C'mon Navy - get a grip on this. The eConsultation expires on 11 JUN!!!!

Titus_Aduxars

Midshipman

Here I am workin' me fingers to the bone on ARRSE, e-Goat and 'ere and wot do I get? Bugg'r all.

Well it looks as if Arbuthnot might be taking us a little more seriously than first thought as he's just posted the following:

"In view of the continuing interest in this eConsultation, and in response to some criticism that it has not been publicised as it might be, the Committee has decided to extend the eConsultation until 18 June, to give people as much opportunity as possible to have their say."

So go on - don't be shy!

hackle

Lantern Swinger

Titus_Aduxars said:
Here I am workin' me fingers to the bone on ARRSE, e-Goat and 'ere and wot do I get? Bugg'r all.

Well it looks as if Arbuthnot might be taking us a little more seriously than first thought as he's just posted the following:

"In view of the continuing interest in this eConsultation, and in response to some criticism that it has not been publicised as it might be, the Committee has decided to extend the eConsultation until 18 June, to give people as much opportunity as possible to have their say."

So go on - don't be shy!

Hear, hear. Thanks for the heads up, Titus_Aduxars.

No excuse left chaps for not contributing to the forum, if you have experience of or have something to say about medical care for the Forces.

Titus_Aduxars

Midshipman

Another stay of execution!!! Forum will stay running till 2 JUL. Maybe I'm being naive (nowt new there!) but it seems as if the wealth of opinion offered to this forum is having a positive effect.

This is your third chance - take it!!

Surely you must have taken it on board by now that this is not high on the list of admirals', generals', AMs', government ministers or RR posters' priorities?

The Defence Medical Service is only important to those unfortunate enough to need its services and they only find that out when it's too late. The lip service paid to supporting the personnel injured in the course of their service is never accompanied by enough investment to make a difference.

hackle

Lantern Swinger

asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Surely you must have taken it on board by now that this is not high on the list of admirals', generals', AMs', government ministers or RR posters' priorities?

The Defence Medical Service is only important to those unfortunate enough to need its services and they only find that out when it's too late. The lip service paid to supporting the personnel injured in the course of their service is never accompanied by enough investment to make a difference.

Bit of a misunderstanding, perhaps. Seems to me that the online forum has had quite a good response already, in which the encouragement on sites like this and 'ARRSE' has undoubtedly helped.

What Titus_Aduxars and others have been doing is quite rightly encouraging more RR users to participate if they have something to say, before the forum closes on 2 July.

BAFF have already submitted a formal 'Memorandum' to the Defence Committee. Its details certainly won't please everyone, but it does make it clear that all our members attach priority to medical care. BAFF membership includes current operational 'customers' of DMS, and some practitioners.

rockape34

Badgeman
[quote="James Arbothnot MP, Chairman of the Defence Committee]
"On Thursday 14 June, I and other Members of the Defence Committee visited the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court, and Combat Stress's treatment centre at Tyrwhitt House in Leatherhead. This was the first of several visits which will be part of our inquiry into Medical Care for the Armed Forces.

We were impressed by what we saw. Headley Court is a remarkable place. We spoke to patients and staff, and were struck by the dedication and positive outlook of both. The rehabilitation that goes on is a story which deserves much more public recognition than it gets. We were told, for example, about an amputee who, within four weeks of leaving Headley Court, was hiking on the Brecon Beacons on his prosthetic leg, carrying a heavy pack and a rifle!

Combat Stress also performs a vital service. We had a chance to speak to some of the veterans in the treatment centre, and to hear their stories. It was a salutary experience. The Chief Executive of Combat Stress was frank with us about how overstretched the organisation is, and how great and ever-more formidable a challenge it faces, with referrals steadily increasing.

We would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had experience of either Headley Court or one of Combat Stress's treatment centres."

The Rt Hon James Arbuthnot MP, Chairman of the Defence Committee
[/quote]
anwers HERE

rockape34

Badgeman
I have just got off the 'phone with James Arbuthnot's office.

Those having problems registering on the DefCom site can make submissions by fax, email or in writing - details below:

Fax 020 7219 6952

[email protected] (subject: DefCom Inquiry into Medical Care for the Armed Forces)

write to:
Defence Committee
(Re: Medical Care for the Armed Forces)
House of Commons
London SW1A OAA

It would be appreciated if you would post on this thread when you have made a submission through the above means.

Latest Threads