Defaulters fines

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Serving at Commcen Whitehall we used to do 2 x 12 hour night watches, 24 off and then 2 x 12 hour day watches & then 4 days off. During the 12 off we were not supposed to leave the Inner London area..!
So 2 x Greenies, 2 x Jennies, myself and my oppo (LRO O'Hara) came off the 2nd night watch, had some breaky and walked across to Charing Cross to catch the train for our day trip to Calais, we even had Procedure Alpha on the bridge of the ferry as we entered Calais when we informed the bridge that we were matelots..
I won't bore you with the detail but me and my mucka got locked up overnight and were finally let out of clink without charge at around 08:30/09:00 ish. Of course we were due on watch at 07:00 in London!!
At any rate we still purchased our DF's on the ferry, had a pint in the pub at Dover while we awaited our train and ended up 6 hours & 50 minutes adrift.

Out of 4 x possible charges 3 were dropped so adrift was the only charge and we both got 1 x days loss of pay.

By all accounts the Fleet Chief Yeoman was walked around the shiproom singing 'I was locked in France' to the tune of the Bonnie Tyler hit 'I was lost in France'.....!

That's cheating.

Always good to manage expectations in cases such as this. "Expect the worst, hope for the best".

Generally I find the mess sweepstake on what penalty the defendant will receive is much more entertaining than BR2.
There are some charges where the maximum allowable punishment is pretty high. Reading out the options available to me in front of the accused could cause very pale faces at times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some charges where the maximum allowable punishment is pretty high. Reading out the options available to me in front of the accused could cause very pale faces at times!

Sadist!
Edited cuz my phone put it in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Sadist!
Edited cuz my phone put it in the wrong place.
Not really.

It showed some of the more inexperienced sailors at my table quite what their "high jinks" could result in.

When you're told you could be facing 28 days over the wall, you tend to be a little less cocky.

Not really.

It showed some of the more inexperienced sailors at my table quite what their "high jinks" could result in.

When you're told you could be facing 28 days over the wall, you tend to be a little less cocky.

I fully understand your rationale, if I was in the same situation I would have probably done the same!
But then I would have been called sarcastic and not a sadist! Don't know why people think that about me - must be working with all these civvies, they don't understand matelots 'dry wit'.

I tended to be on the wrong side of the table, to put the knives in:rolleyes:
One time in the grad, troublesome little gits, we as Killick's were told if they step out of line, bring them to the table, bollocks, little score gets of Scott free, same as he was doing as a civy, and we end up almost in the shite for not being better leaders.