Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kran

Hello,

Just been hit with the unfortunate news that I've been deemed PMU by Capita. The situation essentially goes that I had one bout of mild dermatitis (eczema) almost 8 years ago, all I was given was some aqueous cream (basically moisturiser) and told that it should dissipate soon. It was gone in a few weeks and I haven't been back since then for anything related to this. I barely ever moisturise either, so its not like I even get cases of dry skin regularly without obvious external reasons (exposed to sun too much). Despite how mild the condition was, I was deemed permanently medically unfit without and in person medical. Obviously my recruiter has advised me to appeal the case with my GP's signed approval too, and I am trying my best but I want to gather as much information about these sorts of situations as possible.

I was wanting to know if anyone here has experienced something similar, or knows anyone who can give me advice and information regarding this appeal process with regards to skin conditions, as in the basic requirements guidelines it states that the skin conditions that bar entry are chronic eczema or dermatitis, psoriasis and severe acne. Obviously I'm not a health professional, but I hardly think that this one flare counts as chronic eczema surely?

I also understand that it can differ from occupation and in my case I've got through every stage of the application for the UGAS engineering scheme and I'd be exposed to different lots of dangerous chemicals, oils, greases etc. but I've actually worked with boats and in a workshop, and I did chemistry A level and got my practical pass for the subject.

Any information regarding similar scenarios or advice regarding how to go about with my appeal letter and what I need my GP to confirm would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kyran

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Have a look at the search facility, this has been covered many times, there is also advice there on how to set out the appeal. Good luck

mick1199

Badgeman
Can’t speak from experience as to actually fielding an appeal but I’m in the middle of the medical stage now, just waiting for capita to confirm they’ve received info from my GP and setup a face to face medical. I also had very mild dermatitis as a kid (I think) and one random bout of psoriasis that I caught while on holiday. I don’t even know if I was prescribed anything but needless to say if they’re being that strict regarding PMUs I’m a little nervous as to the outcome for myself. Sounds a little extreme on their behalf. Can’t imagine how an 8 year old condition that hasn’t been an issue since would constitute a PMU.

soleil

War Hero
Hello,

Just been hit with the unfortunate news that I've been deemed PMU by Capita. The situation essentially goes that I had one bout of mild dermatitis (eczema) almost 8 years ago, all I was given was some aqueous cream (basically moisturiser) and told that it should dissipate soon. It was gone in a few weeks and I haven't been back since then for anything related to this. I barely ever moisturise either, so its not like I even get cases of dry skin regularly without obvious external reasons (exposed to sun too much). Despite how mild the condition was, I was deemed permanently medically unfit without and in person medical. Obviously my recruiter has advised me to appeal the case with my GP's signed approval too, and I am trying my best but I want to gather as much information about these sorts of situations as possible.

I was wanting to know if anyone here has experienced something similar, or knows anyone who can give me advice and information regarding this appeal process with regards to skin conditions, as in the basic requirements guidelines it states that the skin conditions that bar entry are chronic eczema or dermatitis, psoriasis and severe acne. Obviously I'm not a health professional, but I hardly think that this one flare counts as chronic eczema surely?

I also understand that it can differ from occupation and in my case I've got through every stage of the application for the UGAS engineering scheme and I'd be exposed to different lots of dangerous chemicals, oils, greases etc. but I've actually worked with boats and in a workshop, and I did chemistry A level and got my practical pass for the subject.

Any information regarding similar scenarios or advice regarding how to go about with my appeal letter and what I need my GP to confirm would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kyran

Kyran

Have a look at JSP 950 which contains the guidance on medical eligibility.

The paragraphs which will be of interest to you will be in Section 4:

Annex I Dermatological Pre-entry 4-I-1 to 4-I-2

NavyNew1

Midshipman
Dermatology seems to be strict at the moment.

I have been PMU'd from Navy during application for an incidence of dermatitis in childhood. JSP 950 states that because I have 'a history of it', its a bar to entry. I appealed with medical support stating that I have been 15+ years asymptomatic, no current conditions and that it has no affect on any activities but it is still a bar to entry.

It states they assess each case individually but unfortunately there seems to be very little leeway in the application of the JSP guidelines.

Good luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z PMU Joining the Royal Navy 2
R Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Appealing PMU for Mental Health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
N PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
M Pmu advise Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C TMU potentially PMU. Trying for MEO Joining the Royal Navy 17
C Potential PMU Health & Fitness 2
B Self referral PMU? Joining the Royal Navy 3
I PMU appeal Joining the Royal Navy 3
S Medical - PMU IgA Nephropathy, next steps? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P PMU, without even a face-to-face medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MrTee147 Appealing A PMU Joining the Royal Navy 1
B PMU for Pilot - advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
norbastard90s PMU'd. Need cover letter advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M PMU Appeals ? Health & Fitness 2
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
B PMU'd Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
S PMU for military- RFA an option? RFA 5
A PMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S PMU Health & Fitness 13
MoD_RSS Civil news: opportunity to tender for education advice contracts MoD News 0
G Advice needed Blogs 9
F Advice needed Nearest & Dearest 41
MoD_RSS Response to the ACMD's advice on 2,4-Dinitrophenol (DNP) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice on consumer CBD (cannabidiol) products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Community Champions to give COVID-19 vaccine advice and boost take up MoD News 0
J Advice on joining the RN. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
N Ratings Joining Advice - 25 Year Old Grad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
MoD_RSS Unregulated immigration advice earns Directors £17,000 fine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice to local planning authorities on the application of The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) (Amendment) (No. 4) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS JCVI issues advice on the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for clinically extremely vulnerable in new Tier 4 areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice to help savers make the most of their pensions MoD News 0
T Signal Flag Advice History 16
MoD_RSS Civil news: telephone advice tender for immigration work opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK-wide advice on ear tags for livestock exporters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House issue ‘don’t leave it until the last minute’ advice to businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hauliers get border-ready with 45 new information and advice sites MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 80 hours unpaid work for giving unregulated immigration advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: tender opens for police station telephone advice work MoD News 0
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated advice tailored to local COVID alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unlawful immigration advice given by Southall man MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice on net-zero energy challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hull man guilty of giving unlawful immigration advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: opportunity to bid for telephone advice contracts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for people who are struggling to pay essential bills because of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunities for telephone legal advice MoD News 0
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4