kran

Hello,

Just been hit with the unfortunate news that I've been deemed PMU by Capita. The situation essentially goes that I had one bout of mild dermatitis (eczema) almost 8 years ago, all I was given was some aqueous cream (basically moisturiser) and told that it should dissipate soon. It was gone in a few weeks and I haven't been back since then for anything related to this. I barely ever moisturise either, so its not like I even get cases of dry skin regularly without obvious external reasons (exposed to sun too much). Despite how mild the condition was, I was deemed permanently medically unfit without and in person medical. Obviously my recruiter has advised me to appeal the case with my GP's signed approval too, and I am trying my best but I want to gather as much information about these sorts of situations as possible.

I was wanting to know if anyone here has experienced something similar, or knows anyone who can give me advice and information regarding this appeal process with regards to skin conditions, as in the basic requirements guidelines it states that the skin conditions that bar entry are chronic eczema or dermatitis, psoriasis and severe acne. Obviously I'm not a health professional, but I hardly think that this one flare counts as chronic eczema surely?

I also understand that it can differ from occupation and in my case I've got through every stage of the application for the UGAS engineering scheme and I'd be exposed to different lots of dangerous chemicals, oils, greases etc. but I've actually worked with boats and in a workshop, and I did chemistry A level and got my practical pass for the subject.

Any information regarding similar scenarios or advice regarding how to go about with my appeal letter and what I need my GP to confirm would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kyran

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Have a look at the search facility, this has been covered many times, there is also advice there on how to set out the appeal. Good luck

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Can’t speak from experience as to actually fielding an appeal but I’m in the middle of the medical stage now, just waiting for capita to confirm they’ve received info from my GP and setup a face to face medical. I also had very mild dermatitis as a kid (I think) and one random bout of psoriasis that I caught while on holiday. I don’t even know if I was prescribed anything but needless to say if they’re being that strict regarding PMUs I’m a little nervous as to the outcome for myself. Sounds a little extreme on their behalf. Can’t imagine how an 8 year old condition that hasn’t been an issue since would constitute a PMU.

soleil

War Hero
Hello,

Just been hit with the unfortunate news that I've been deemed PMU by Capita. The situation essentially goes that I had one bout of mild dermatitis (eczema) almost 8 years ago, all I was given was some aqueous cream (basically moisturiser) and told that it should dissipate soon. It was gone in a few weeks and I haven't been back since then for anything related to this. I barely ever moisturise either, so its not like I even get cases of dry skin regularly without obvious external reasons (exposed to sun too much). Despite how mild the condition was, I was deemed permanently medically unfit without and in person medical. Obviously my recruiter has advised me to appeal the case with my GP's signed approval too, and I am trying my best but I want to gather as much information about these sorts of situations as possible.

I was wanting to know if anyone here has experienced something similar, or knows anyone who can give me advice and information regarding this appeal process with regards to skin conditions, as in the basic requirements guidelines it states that the skin conditions that bar entry are chronic eczema or dermatitis, psoriasis and severe acne. Obviously I'm not a health professional, but I hardly think that this one flare counts as chronic eczema surely?

I also understand that it can differ from occupation and in my case I've got through every stage of the application for the UGAS engineering scheme and I'd be exposed to different lots of dangerous chemicals, oils, greases etc. but I've actually worked with boats and in a workshop, and I did chemistry A level and got my practical pass for the subject.

Any information regarding similar scenarios or advice regarding how to go about with my appeal letter and what I need my GP to confirm would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kyran

Kyran

Have a look at JSP 950 which contains the guidance on medical eligibility.

The paragraphs which will be of interest to you will be in Section 4:

Annex I Dermatological Pre-entry 4-I-1 to 4-I-2

NavyNew1

Midshipman
Dermatology seems to be strict at the moment.

I have been PMU'd from Navy during application for an incidence of dermatitis in childhood. JSP 950 states that because I have 'a history of it', its a bar to entry. I appealed with medical support stating that I have been 15+ years asymptomatic, no current conditions and that it has no affect on any activities but it is still a bar to entry.

It states they assess each case individually but unfortunately there seems to be very little leeway in the application of the JSP guidelines.

Good luck!

Lvin123

Just wondering how you got on with this?

Ive recently been declared PMU due to dry skin I had on my hands at my face to face medical. It wasnt severe and I had GP referral confirming this however the Dr said it had caused cracks and disregarded GP letter.

Im going about my appeal now but just wondering how it went for you so I can have some sort of idea on the chance of it going through.

Cheers!

NavyNew1

Midshipman
Hi,

My appeal is still pending. There is a backlog with everything going on so haven’t heard yet. It has been a few months.

Common sense says I am fit to serve, however JSP says no. It’ll depend on the person reviewing it

Waspie

War Hero
Hi,

My appeal is still pending. There is a backlog with everything going on so haven’t heard yet. It has been a few months.

Common sense says I am fit to serve, however JSP says no. It’ll depend on the person reviewing it
Common sense doesn't come into it. Rules are there for a reason not to appease individuals.

NavyNew1

Midshipman
Waspie, what I meant was that Navy Unit and AFCO seem to think there is no reason I was PMU’d (and although admittedly biased, I agree) but as you say the rules if taken literally allow Capita to bar my entry. If I had the condition more widespread and currently active I would be allowed entry but in my case with decades of no symptoms, the rules state I can be PMU’d.......

Waspie

War Hero
Waspie, what I meant was that Navy Unit and AFCO seem to think there is no reason I was PMU’d (and although admittedly biased, I agree) but as you say the rules if taken literally allow Capita to bar my entry. If I had the condition more widespread and currently active I would be allowed entry but in my case with decades of no symptoms, the rules state I can be PMU’d.......
Sadly, as Capita are a private organisation working on behalf of the RN. They are caught between a rock and a hard place.

NavyNew1

Midshipman
I understand. Which is why after Capita have PMU’d me it has gone back to Portsmouth (Navy) to make a final decision. Time will tell, it just seems like Capita were brought in to make it more efficient and take the medical load off the Navy but yet they are applying the rules literally to cover themselves and then the Navy have to review the appeals.....

Waspie

War Hero
I understand. Which is why after Capita have PMU’d me it has gone back to Portsmouth (Navy) to make a final decision. Time will tell, it just seems like Capita were brought in to make it more efficient and take the medical load off the Navy but yet they are applying the rules literally to cover themselves and then the Navy have to review the appeals.....
The thing with appeals, you can win. It's just part of the system and there are enough folk on here who have been PMU'd and joined.

Good luck and think positive.

Latest Threads