Deck officer recruitment

Discussion in 'RFA' started by eleanor74, Jul 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having spent the last 18 months making sure that I meet all the eligibility criteria for Deck Officer Cadet I'm ready to apply.

I called the AFCO and they confirmed that they're not recruiting at present but the person I spoke to couldn't tell me when recruitment is likely to reopen. Does anyone here have any unofficial information about the likelihood of recruitment in the next couple of years?

As an aside, officially experience at sea isn't required but am I at a significant disadvantage by applying before building up some experience?
  2. Was that your local AFCO or RFA central recruitment number as per careers website? I am surprised that recruitment of cadets has stopped. AFAIK it has been continuous for over a decade, throughout recent cuts, and there is still a shortage of deck officers in the RFA. You are the first person I have heard of to be turned away with 'not recruiting just now'.

No disadvantage at all. Most cadets have no previous seagoing experience, though a family background in seafaring doesn't hurt. Are you looking at the maritime voluntary sector? Anything to help you stand out from the crowd and to prove an ability to cope with the lifestyle wouldn't hurt, but it isn't necessary.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Eleanor I am pretty sure that RFA is in fact recruiting Deck Officer Cadets. Call 08456 04 05 20 and ask for an application form.
  4. Thanks, guys. I called the number on the website. I'll make time to go into the careers office in person and get things moving.
  5. I have just been spat out of the RFA recruiting process, I start BRNC in September as a OC Deck
  6. Will - how come you didn't make the May entry?
  7. I only finished my A-Levels in June.
  8. That makes perfect sense. Subject to final paperwork and medical, I will see you at BRNC in Sep.
  9. Looking forward to having the next RFA course starting in Sept.