Deck officer holiday

Hi Everyone.
Just starting down the road towards the Deck Officer Cadetship, but annoyingly have to retake some gcse's to get in, on top of the degree I'm already doing. Such larks.
My question is this though:
From what I'm reading, and have been told on the RFA direct line, holidays (once qualified) work on a four months on, three off (roughly).
However, on the website seems to say that you get seven days of paid leave for every month at sea.
Asked the phone folks about it and they said that whatever is on the website will be the mst up to date information.
So.. what's the deal? Have the terms of employment recently changed or a, I missing something?
28 days off after four months at sea is obviously much less attractive then 82 days off- particularly as a bit part of the attraction of the role for me s the work/life balance afforded by prolonged periods off work.
Thoughts?

Seadog

War Hero
What SS is trying to say may be:

Cadets and Apprentices are on lower rates of leave than qualified officers and ratings.

Dorling83

Midshipman
You earn a weeks worth of earned voyage leave for each month you are away. Therefore 4 months on/1 month off, as a cadet.

However, your time off as a cadet is shaped just as equally by your time at college. For example, in my second sea phase I required 5 months sea time to reach my 12 months. I required a significant amount of watchkeeping days too.

The sea phase was from the beginning of Sep 16 to middle of May 17 - 9 months. I had 2 weeks off and then did a two month trip and left early because I wasn't getting enough watchkeeping days. I then had 1 week at home before going away for 4 months. At the end of those 4 months I had accrued 13 months sea time and fulfilled my requirements for watchkeeping days. That was on 7th March. I didn't have to be back at college until 16th May and didn't need to go to sea anymore. My training officer was in the process of leaving the job and handing over to the new one. As a result I was on leave until I got back to college, so I had 10 weeks off - it was the same for a few of the cadets in my phase.

In short; the intended structure for a 9 month sea phase is usually a week or so of leave, a 4 month trip, followed by a month of leave, then a 3 month trip followed by a couple of weeks off before going back to college. That's the intention. But watchkeeping days are a valuable commodity. Try to get as many as you can early on. If you are struggling, be prepared to go anywhere at a moments notice and sacrifice your leave in the second sea phase.

So you may get 1 week for every month away, you may not!

Don't let it deter you. I've had far more leave as a cadet than I ever would have received in my previous office job. At college you get 2/3 weeks for Christmas and Easter too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
A Warfare officer Vs Cadet deck officer RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Eyesight requirement - deck officer RFA 2
S Promotion times (deck officer) RFA 13
S RFA Deck Officer Cadet - Maths grade? RFA 8
L Deck Officer Cadet RFA 8
W Electrician Officer or Deck Officer RFA 8
TechFin Anyone know what the Deck Officer Cadetships are like? RFA 3
C Joining as Deck Officer Cadet RFA 1
J Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements RFA 5
Z RFA Cadet Deck Officer or Comms Apprentice RFA 37
T Deck Officer Cadet SIFT RFA 12
P RFA deck officer cadet pay whilst training RFA 46
S Deck Officer Cadet - GCSE worries! RFA 9
R EX RN LMA- Looking at Deck officer RFA 8
S Can i become a deck officer without cadetship? RFA 8
T Deck Officer (Cadetship) Interview RFA 13
E Deck officer recruitment RFA 8
B (RFA) Eligible for Deck Officer? And questions about the RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Officer/Lower Deck readership Site Issues 2
higthepig Flight Deck Movie.............. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 101
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
K Deck markings History 13
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
S RFA deck officers RFA 3
F Aircraft carrier with peeled back flight deck. History 13
S Lower Deck Songs 1916 History 0
M Deck Rating Starting May 2016 RFA 2
M RFA deck cadet RFA 18
M RFA Deck Rating SG1B/SG1At Interview RFA 2
P Fleetwood or warsash for 2015 deck? RFA 10
soleil Mail: "Sea Of Love: Royal Navy Crew Spell Out Valentine's Message On The Deck" The Fleet 4
S Badgers and Flight Deck Machinery. The Fleet Air Arm 12
Ninja_Stoker Phantoms & Buccaneers deck landings The Fleet Air Arm 5
B Transfer to Deck Cadet after AIB? RFA 8
scouse Chockheads and Flight deck crew eat your heart out!! The Fleet Air Arm 0
wave_dodger Chinese conduct deck landings with J-15s at sea Current Affairs 6
scouse FS5Bs USN Chockheads and flight deck crew at play The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil South Wales Argus: "Dragon On Deck To Celebrate Royal Navy Ship’s Visit To City" The Fleet 0
R RFA Deck Hand? RFA 65
C Bridge Officers, Engineers and Deck Officers - Tax Free Offshore Job The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
scouse Could be in for a bit of fun!!! when the Septics train us up for Flight Deck Ops The Fleet Air Arm 4
F Safe Deck Hand course. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 18
janner Discovery flight deck The Quarterdeck 16
scouse The inventor of the Mirror Deck Landing Sight has died The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Bristol Eve. Post: 'More Hands On Deck Needed To Keep Pride Of Bristol Trust Afloat' Charity 0
digger84 2 Deck Dits. The Quarterdeck 33
scouse Scousers Making the Flight Deck The Fleet Air Arm 8