Deck Officer Cadet

Hi all, new member here! I have applied the the RFA as Deck Officer Cadet and have already passed the psychometrics and my Sift Interview is fast approaching. I've been revising like mad but I still have a few queries that I know I'll have to answer correctly but I can't seem to find definite answers anywhere! So, if anyone has recently gone through the joining process And could help me it would be amazing!

Sift Interview
How deep will I be expected to go with my RFA knowledge- ships, operations, history etc?

Will I also be asked about RN/RM?

AIB
Is there a swim test?
What are the fitness tests and requirements?

BNRC Dartmouth
It’s definitely 10 weeks, right?

Are there set RFA intakes? Or does it shift around?

Do they mix RFA and Navy together for courses ?

Will fitness be expected to be as high as the Navy? If so, what’s involved? (I’ve been told it’s minimal, but others say you get beasted)

Generally what do you cover whilst at BNRC?

Training
Which nautical colleges take RFA cadets? I attended an open day at Warsash in October and was told it is now only either Glasgow or Fleetwood. Intakes in September or possibly January. Is that correct?

Training is approximately 3 years, split into 5 phrases - 1,3 and 5 being shorebased and 2 and 4 being at sea. STCW’s completed in phrase 1. Graduate with OOW CoC (hopefully) as third Officer. Can anyone add anything?

Thanks in advance guys. I just want to be ready for anything they ask :)

CreativeOfficer

Midshipman
check out https://landlockedofficer.com and http://manchesterwelsh.com/topics/rfa/ which both have topics on the sift on them

With regards to AIB:
No swim test, thats are BRNC. The fitness requirements are the same as the RN and so is the rest of the RN AIB.

With regards to BRNC:
It is 10 weeks (May be going up shortly)
It's set, February, approx. May and October
Currently they are separate, may be joining but not for the entire course in the future
fitness isn't as high as the RN, you don't do nearly as much fitness and you don't do period zero (unless you choose to do it)
You cover a lot to do with the RFA and stuff related to the RN, you also do lots of leadership and team work. I won't tell anymore as I don't want too ruin it.

With regards to Training:
It will be either Glasgow or Fleetwood with the RFA for a deck cadet.
intakes are February, possibly June and September
with regards to that training, thats pretty much it. you sit orals in phase 5 with phase 5 being oral prep.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else

Last edited:
check out https://landlockedofficer.com and http://manchesterwelsh.com/topics/rfa/ which both have topics on the sift on them

With regards to AIB:
No swim test, thats are BRNC. The fitness requirements are the same as the RN and so is the rest of the RN AIB.

With regards to BRNC:
It is 10 weeks (May be going up shortly)
It's set, February, approx. May and October
Currently they are separate, may be joining but not for the entire course in the future
fitness isn't as high as the RN, you don't do nearly as much fitness and you don't do period zero (unless you choose to do it)
You cover a lot to do with the RFA and stuff related to the RN, you also do lots of leadership and team work. I won't tell anymore as I don't want too ruin it.

With regards to Training:
It will be either Glasgow or Fleetwood with the RFA for a deck cadet.
intakes are February, possibly June and September
with regards to that training, thats pretty much it. you sit orals in phase 5 with phase 5 being oral prep.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else
Thank you for your reply CreativeOfficer ! Really has helped. The first of the blogs you mentioned I had not seen before and is very helpful as well. You have cleared up a few queries of mine and I'm strangely starting to feel more confident about the interview. Still a week to go so fingers crossed!

CreativeOfficer

Midshipman
As long as you know your stuff, you’ll be fine. Also, if they “send you round the bouy” and ask you back a second time, don’t let that phase you. Most of my division at BRNC had been to two sifts. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TechFin RFA 3
C RFA 1
J RFA 5