Deck Officer Cadet - GCSE worries!

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Swiftandbold, May 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just called the recruitment number and expressed my interest in joining the RFA as a Deck Officer Cadet but I have been tripped up at the first hurdle... my GCSE's have come back to haunt me. My GCSE's do not met the requirements and in the important subjects; I received a B in English Literature, C in English Language, C in Mathematics and DD in Science.

Though there is reason for my unimpressive GCSE's as my mother was diagnosed with cancer during my final year and my mind wasn't exactly on the ball at the time due to this and helping to care for her. She went underwent chemo and radiotherapy and was given the all clear, a year and a bit later thank god.

As her health improved so did my interest in education and I managed to salvage my A2 year and get a B in History, C in Geography, C in Geology and C in Critical Thinking. I then went onto a good red brick university and got a 2:1 in History and International Relations and I am now just coming to the end of my MA in History and am expecting to get a merit. During this period I also served as a rifleman in the TA for seven years, doing one very hairy tour of Afghanistan in 2009.

The nice lady on the phone did provide me with a phone number to query further as to whether a waiver was possible for the education requirements, but question is, does such a waive exist in light of extenuating circumstances and/or achievement at a higher level of education? Does anyone have any experience of my situation and whether it is possible to resolve? Ultimately I'll find out tomorrow but it would be nice to see if such a thing is possible in preparation.

I'm dead serious in my intention to join the RFA but the last thing I really want to be doing is resitting my GCSE's to resolve mistakes made 10 years ago as a distracted child?

Many thanks for reading and apologies for the long post. Your thoughts are very welcome.
  2. They take the gcse requirements very seriously. Even if it's been 20 years since you were in school. I don't know anything about a waiver, but would like to wish you and all you to keep us informed.
  3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The RFA are renown for sticking to their guns with regards GCSE's. You can either resit to get the required grades or join as a rating with the possibility of going Rating To Officer. If you find out how to get a waiver I for one would be extremely interested.

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Or apply to a commercial outfit that will take you with the C grades. Once qualified ( a certificate of competency) and a few trips under your belt you can apply to the RFA as a direct entry deck officer. Your GCSE grades will then be of no consequence

I've typed the same thing in the last month. I hope no-one is mucking about.
  5. As others have said the RFA are very rigid with GCSE requirements and I'd be very surprised if you for a waiver - please do let us know if you manage it.

Another suggestion for you to consider is applying to another company who have lower GCSE entry requirements and then transfer to the RFA once you have your Officer of the Watch competency. It's easier to get in as a qualified officer than as a cadet. Easier in so much as there is no AIB anymore for qualified officers...
  6. Which is pretty much what Seadog said :/
  7. Who knows what the RFA recruitment situation will be like in four years time when the OP might be in a position to apply as a qualified officer? It is only very recently that the RFA has started to recruit qualified officers again, after a break of some years. If you are set on the RFA in particular, sort your GCSEs out and apply for a cadetship.
  8. I'm no way an expert on the RFA, just bloody happy they were there. All I can add is tenacity, DON'T settle for less than you want, don't do the rating to officer route as it could take years. The best advice from someone above is MN officer and step sideways into the RFA.
    But the fact that you were under extreme duress when doing your original GCSE's SHOULD get you a *something*..........have you thought of going to the GCSE people/govnmt jerks and ask them to give you higher rates?
    Enclose copies of all letters to your mother and her treatment as you can, and whatever you do I wish you luck and wisdom, your mum's ok, so you're lucky already.
    Have your head fixed on something don't accept knock-backs, just rebound and go at it again.
    Plus re-read your mails before you send, meet not met!!!
  9. You been on the sauce?
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Jack888 wrote

Actually the best advice isn't mine but Megalopteron's advice. Get qualified.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1