Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements

jwalter

Hi guys, I did do a search but it's not pinged anything up so sorry if this has been covered before.
I'm very interested in the RFA, and I like the look of the Deck Officer Cadet route. However, my GCSE results aren't up to scratch and I'm a bit too old to pop into a school and resit them.
I've been looking online and I've found something called an IGCSE which is accredited and recognised by lots of institutions, and it's basically a GCSE for people who are studying remotely.
Having been in the Army previously, I know how inflexible the MOD can be on certain things and I don't want to shell out just to be told that no, it's not good enough and that it needs to be a plain old GCSE.

Does anyone have any insight on whether it's acceptable? If its not, any advice on alternate ways of doing things? Thanks very much!

Rubicon

iGCSEs should be completely interchangeable with GCSEs. They're an equal qualification, mainly aimed at international schools and the like, though many UK schools (usually in the independent sector) make their kids them instead of GCSEs these days because they are considered more rigorous.
Have you tried ringing RFA recruitment?

jwalter

Thanks for getting back to me, that's good to hear. I'd not heard of an IGCSE before so wasn't entirely sure where they stood.

No, that's probably a very good idea though. Is that the 0345 number on the RN website, or is there a secret one that I'm too stupid to find?

Ta!

Prop1910

Midshipman
Hi,
I managed to get through sift and off towards AIB (I've applied for Deck Cadet as well) without many GCSEs, but on the strength of my NVQ Level 3 (which apparently is worth an A-level or two).
I tend to think that GCSEs are a general standard that people "should" work towards.
Get in touch with RFA (Navy) Recruitment and see what they say regarding your qualifications.
Good luck!!

jwalter

Thanks to both of you for getting back to me.
I'll ring the number on monday, and unfortunately I have Cs at GCSE and that's about it. Cheers though, I appreciate the effort.

Take care

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Cadet Deck officer college choices. RFA 9
D Information on RFA Cadet Officer (Deck) course RFA 6
A Warfare officer Vs Cadet deck officer RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S RFA Deck Officer Cadet - Maths grade? RFA 8
L Deck Officer Cadet RFA 8
C Joining as Deck Officer Cadet RFA 1
Z RFA Cadet Deck Officer or Comms Apprentice RFA 37
T Deck Officer Cadet SIFT RFA 12
P RFA deck officer cadet pay whilst training RFA 46
S Deck Officer Cadet - GCSE worries! RFA 9
LandScrubber Deck Officer courses? RFA 14
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
S Eyesight requirement - deck officer RFA 2
S Promotion times (deck officer) RFA 13
W Electrician Officer or Deck Officer RFA 11
TechFin Anyone know what the Deck Officer Cadetships are like? RFA 3
A Deck officer holiday RFA 3
R EX RN LMA- Looking at Deck officer RFA 8
S Can i become a deck officer without cadetship? RFA 8
T Deck Officer (Cadetship) Interview RFA 13
E Deck officer recruitment RFA 8
B (RFA) Eligible for Deck Officer? And questions about the RFA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Officer/Lower Deck readership Site Issues 2
higthepig Flight Deck Movie.............. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 207
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
K Deck markings History 13
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
S RFA deck officers RFA 3
F Aircraft carrier with peeled back flight deck. History 14
S Lower Deck Songs 1916 History 0
M Deck Rating Starting May 2016 RFA 2
M RFA deck cadet RFA 18
M RFA Deck Rating SG1B/SG1At Interview RFA 2
P Fleetwood or warsash for 2015 deck? RFA 10
soleil Mail: "Sea Of Love: Royal Navy Crew Spell Out Valentine's Message On The Deck" The Fleet 4
S Badgers and Flight Deck Machinery. The Fleet Air Arm 12
Ninja_Stoker Phantoms & Buccaneers deck landings The Fleet Air Arm 5
B Transfer to Deck Cadet after AIB? RFA 8
scouse Chockheads and Flight deck crew eat your heart out!! The Fleet Air Arm 0
wave_dodger Chinese conduct deck landings with J-15s at sea Current Affairs 6
scouse FS5Bs USN Chockheads and flight deck crew at play The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil South Wales Argus: "Dragon On Deck To Celebrate Royal Navy Ship’s Visit To City" The Fleet 0
R RFA Deck Hand? RFA 65
C Bridge Officers, Engineers and Deck Officers - Tax Free Offshore Job The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
scouse Could be in for a bit of fun!!! when the Septics train us up for Flight Deck Ops The Fleet Air Arm 4
F Safe Deck Hand course. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 18
janner Discovery flight deck The Quarterdeck 16
scouse The inventor of the Mirror Deck Landing Sight has died The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Bristol Eve. Post: 'More Hands On Deck Needed To Keep Pride Of Bristol Trust Afloat' Charity 0