Decisions

The only thing to add, from my perspective of s simply that academic eligibility and suitability for role should not be confused. A degree does not an Officer make. Life experience, maturity, people skills & leadership potential are critical factors.

The ACLOs job is to manage expectations and advise career options there's a long wait to join and we can afford to be much more selective.

Good luck to you.
Is that very selective or down right picky?

Thanks Ninja, this is where my dilemma lies, I know I could be asking the same questions in just over three years. I am aware that a degree does not guarantee I would get any further. I have been offered the opportunity to join as a CT and am unsure whether I should take this route as my heart is set on Warfare Officer. I am also aware that at the moment our fleet numbers are limited so know competition will be hard.

The only thing to add, from my perspective of s simply that academic eligibility and suitability for role should not be confused. A degree does not an Officer make. Life experience, maturity, people skills & leadership potential are critical factors.

one or two of the Direct Entries at BRNC (talking to them on a visit) seem(ed) to think it does.
Their faces when suggesting that the 'mythical JR' may well hold similar (and in some cases, greater) educational quals to them......:D

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
one or two of the Direct Entries at BRNC (talking to them on a visit) seem(ed) to think it does.
Their faces when suggesting that the 'mythical JR' may well hold similar (and in some cases, greater) educational quals to them......:D
There are many who perpetrate the myth, in fact I know there are ACLOs who reject 18 year old Officer applicants who don't have degrees, despite the fact they are academically eligible to join, advising them instead that they need to go to uni to gain the life experience whilst studying for an uneccessary degree & racking-up a £50k debt. More & more undergrads attend hometown universities to minimise debt but often fail to gain the mythical "life experience" seemingly unique to the self-licking lollipop of uni education.

Likewise there are increasingly more graduates joining as ratings and other ranks because they want to do the hands-on job, as they see it, rather than manage those doing it.

By and large, with the massive increase in applicants with (non-vocational) degrees over the last decade, we are witnessing an overall increase in the Rating entry academic level, reflecting the education system's output into an already saturated graduate jobs market.

The irony of all this is the perception of higher education, higher wages is unfounded. We want pilots aged 18, rather than 21, ideally and are paying Accelerated Apprentices (Ratings with Level 3 quals) £6k a year more than our Officer entrants.

My son (20) incidentally, has just enrolled onto a Master's Degree course in his Third Year of uni....What do I know about careers? :D

Thanks for all the feedback I thought I would update you all, I have come to the decision to suspend my application and go to uni (away from home) and try again in a few years time. I am aware of the competition and that I could be faced with and could end up with the same dilemma but that's a chance I am willing to take.

Thanks for all the feedback I thought I would update you all, I have come to the decision to suspend my application and go to uni (away from home) and try again in a few years time. I am aware of the competition and that I could be faced with and could end up with the same dilemma but that's a chance I am willing to take.
Good luck

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Are there not bursaries for RN officers anymore????
For top academic achievers scoring well at AIB, yes. It's about £1500 a year for non-members engineers.

There are maybe half a dozen a year awarded. Truth is, we're overborne with Officer applicants with non-vocational degrees (Logs, Warfare, TMO & RM). The only real shortage Officer category, is Pilot.

Best of luck!

My 2p.

I was academically qualified for loads - was supposed to join as a Tiff App, found out it meant going back to school - binned it. Did 4 (very happy!) years as a dabber before re-catting, then eventually (after Mech's course) ending up as........ a Chief Tiff!

My only regret now is the pension differential between Oficers and Ratings, but hey ho, and I'm very grateful for my pennies every month.

I got a First Class Honours degree when I was mid 40s - simply because I was working with some knobs who thought that a degree was the be all and end all of promotion stakes within the company. In the evnt, I was asked to move to a far better (paid!) position within the same company but at a different site.

Horses for courses!

I then retired at 50 to commit the rest of my life to drinking gin and other spirits in the sun!