Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deciphering my fathers service record with no service number?

susan1950

hello all.
i am a newbie my late mother gave me my fathers royal navy records with a service number missing! i never got to know my father he died in1951( after as i was told) he had been lost at sea but eventually found. he was hospitalilised in the royal victoria hospital in newcastle upon tyne but he never got over his illness!
ive searched all over & all i get on records is his birth & death! i dont understand his record too good its faded &
i cant make out some of the writing!
i need to know if the story was true but dont know where to start?

fishhead

War Hero
A good start would be to post a copy of the document you have and let everyone see what they can make of it.

Scouse_Scribes

Lantern Swinger
Service certificates dated from your fathers time, were on a linen like material and were written on in Ink. My own fathers service certificate had the texture of a tea towel. I am surprised that there is no service number on them, it is unusual. It might be that the number is one of the old ones based on his home port. As Fishhead posted we really need to see it. Being an ex writer I am happy to try and decipher as much as I can for you.

Scouse_Scribes

Lantern Swinger
As for uploading, if you click on the upload a file button on the bottom of the box it should give you an option to upload the file.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Deciphering Handwriting History 6
P Late fathers Naval history History 7
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
M My fathers navy pension Finance & Pensions 4
B My Fathers Naval Pension Finance & Pensions 4
BillyNoMates Fathers Day Diamond Lil's 13
B Fathers Service Records The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Sunday Mirror: "Christmas Party Smiles Hide Painful Bond Of Losing Fathers" Charity 0
L My fathers WW2 Navy Records The Fleet 5
scouse Scouse Slim and Fred.were Skin and Pontius was just a twinkle in his Fathers eye The Fleet Air Arm 6
golden_rivet FATHERS DAY - - - HEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!! Nearest & Dearest 27
NZ_Bootneck Fathers and Sons Sports and Adventure Training 1
N Fathers and Sons Trip onboard ship The Fleet 28
slim Mothers to name and shame fathers Diamond Lil's 16
slim Fathers 'must fight gang culture' Current Affairs 4
L They don't do a PJT for Fathers!! Diamond Lil's 9
MoD_RSS HMRC appoints new Director General for customer service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Service Complaints Ombudsman Appointment announcement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New curriculum and campus to improve Civil Service skills and expertise MoD News 0
N Help with dads naval service. History 1
MoD_RSS IT maintenance disrupts IPO service to search and classify trade mark goods and services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IPO new search UK trade mark classes service now available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extraordinary public service at centre of New Year Honours List 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Service update - CICA festive opening hours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New trade barriers service launched to help British businesses export internationally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy in Santiago receives Civil Service Award MoD News 0
C Ww1 service record History 0
MoD_RSS Insolvency Service work recognised at Turnaround, Restructuring and Insolvency Awards MoD News 0
M Looking to Join (2nd time) - from Prison Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Locating a service number History 7
mick1199 Runs ashore and the submarine service Submariners 37
MoD_RSS UKHO announces the release of the Seabed Mapping Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 new satellites to be built in Glasgow in next three years as part of new innovative constellation service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish Export Service trial period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 7,000 businesses register for Trader Support Service MoD News 0
Lemacque Service Record Help History 42
MoD_RSS Malaysia: Remembrance Sunday memorial service goes virtual MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Remembrance Sunday service held online to honour the fallen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMCTS online event, 4 Nov 2020: An update on the digital family public law service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Autumn 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IPO launches trade mark pre-apply service MoD News 0
M what does the x mean in service number Nearest & Dearest 27
MoD_RSS Disabled people to benefit from better journeys thanks to service station funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next steps for future tri-service recruiting programme revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Disclosure and Barring Service makes senior appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Constable commends officers and rewards long service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Making the Civil Service a Great Place to Work for Veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil Service starts guaranteed interview scheme for veterans MoD News 0