Deceased Royal Marine John Ellis

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by RoofRat, Dec 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents I may be out of line here, so please excuse me if I am.
    I found this on the Falklands 30 page on Face Book. Mybe you can shed light on the matter.
    Veterans Charity
    If all 2,314 of our friends on FB shared this, and their friends shared it too, there will be a VERY good chance that members of his family can be found and this Veteran can be buried amongst family and friends, with honour and in remembrance of all that he has done for this country. PLEASE SHARE.

"DECEASED ROYAL MARINE FOUND ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT ..PLEASE REPOST. people we are lo...oking for family members for this man so please pass on to any forces members clubs ect as we dont want this man to be buried by the i.o.w council .. Name.. JOHN ELLIS...ROYAL MARINE COMMANDO..D.O.B.. 17/5/51.. AGE 60.. 3 TOURS OF NORTHERN ISLAND.. KNOWN FAMILY IN EXMOUTH AREA SISTER KNOWN AS DEBBIE ( DOGS ) ELLIS HAS A WHITE STAFF BULL TERRIER.. ANOTHER KNOWN FRIEND BY THE NAME OF ( BOWLER ) HE IS A TRAVELLER POSS AREAS EXETER,STRATFORD,LEAMINGTON,CORNWALL, ANY INFO PLEASE TO ME A.S.A.P WE HAVE A WEEK BEFORE THE COUNCIL BURY THIS MARINE .."

2. I'm a bit worried about this - it started to go viral this morning.

I spoke to a journalist who works for a newspaper on the Isle of Wight about this at lunchtime.

He told me that one of the other journalists on the paper was told that this gentleman had crossed the bar several weeks ago and that the paper was not aware of any current issues relating to this sad event.

The paper is checking with the Coroner this afternoon to verify whether there is an outstanding problem which could be resolved by the circulation of the request for help.

PS RoofRat - not out of line at all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. The News Editor of the paper has just been in touch with me.

She tells me that the paper has received a number of enquiries re this today.

A gentleman of this name was, indeed, known to one or two of the journalists on the paper; they had heard his name mentioned on various occasions. Around a month ago, one of them was told that the gentleman had crossed the bar and the paper gathers that his funeral has already taken place.

The odd thing is, the News Editor tells me that none of the journalists on the paper had ever heard his name linked to the Royal Marines.

4. Nothing been released about this over here in either local newspaper or radio. Surprised as if it had gone viral they would have picked up on it but nothing in the paper version or the website.

(Our Man on the Island)

5. Interesting, I've had a message about this from a friend on the IOW as well.
    According to them he hasn't been buried yet.

6. RG

It could be that the News Editor at the newspaper has been given the wrong information.

I have put out other feelers to try to verify what the current situation is.

7. Hi,
    I can confirm that John Ellis, former Royal Marine Commando, known as Johnny Star,D.O.B 16/4/51, died in St Marys Hospital here on the Isle of Wight. Johnny was a long time friend of mine and his Funeral has been arranged by myself for 3rd Jan and will take place at the Island Crematorium at 3pm. I have arranged for a full Military send off, with the help of the local Legion and Royal Navy Association.

Despite stringent efforts I have not been able to trace his Sister Debbie, who is usually to be found in Exeter, neither have I been able to find Mark RUMBLE "Bowler", aged approx 67, who is generally to be found in either Exeter or Stratford upon Avon.

If anyone has any information that they feel may be able to assist me in tracing not only his Sister and "Bowler", but also any of his 3 Daughters, one of which is called Tanya, or his ex wife, I know they lived in an old Farm House in the Lake District, Priory Farm House, but can not recall any other detail, please do not hesitate to contact me via this site.
    Many Thanks
    Etty

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. Forgot to say John was born in Donegal
    Etty

9. Thank You I will contact them

10. Hi,
    Many thanks for this however I inadvertently put the wrong Surname in, it is Rumble, my apologies.

11. Agree, deleted accordingly.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Agreed.

That's what Facebook is for.