Debate in the mess

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by danny, Mar 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our current topic at the moment is logestion a real word? Or have people up the line been making up words.

2. Logestion isn't ;)

Logistician is, or at least it's been in reasonably common use in strategic terms for at least 20 years.

It may have US origins though which is why it'll have had usage in the strategic layer and not so much lower down the stack.

3. ok then. its just a stupid real word :)

4. Nah - you can leave out the word "real" :D

The fact is the English language already contains an abundance of appropriate and correct words - the damage is being done by the likes of our American cousins who feel the need to invent new words rather than find out what the proper word is. :roll:

5. Maybe Logestion means a back log or clogging of Logisitics?LOL

6. A White Mafia version of indigestion crossed with constipation?

7. Yes it is a real word.

o·gis·tic(l-jstk) also lo·gis·ti·cal (-t-kl)
    adj.
    1. Of or relating to symbolic logic.
    2. Of or relating to logistics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Medieval Latin logisticus, of calculation, from Greek logistikos, skilled in calculating, from logists, calculator, from logizesthai, to calculate, from logos, reckoning, reason; see leg- in Indo-European roots.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lo·gisti·cal·ly adv.
    lo.gisti.cian

8. but what would you rather be called, Logs or chef.

9. I know that "it" is a real word, but just because the white mafia use the word "logestion" rather than "supply" doesn't make either that word or its usage correct :wink:

10. I think that you will find that the White mafia were quite happy with there previous categories before we became logisticians. It is one of the most ridiculous things I have come across of late. And as for pipes, who turns up to the following "Duty Logistician, gangway"?

11. The thing that gets me is that i heard someone getting a bollocking and the it started with "Logistician Turner, why are you adrift", it sounded quite strange.

As a killick chef i find i have no identity, when someone asks me what i do in the navy if i said logistician, the reply would be "what the F**k is that!!!!!!

"If it's brown turn it round if it's black give it to Jack"

12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

presumably the person whose name is against the 'Duty Logistician' on Daily Orders......

13. SF, dont' for get that SA'a. Chef's, Caterers (do the RN still have them?), Stewards and of course Writers are all Logisticians, so if the pipe is made 'Duty Logs to Gangway' its going to get quite crowded up there.

14. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I doubt it if my experiance of Duty Watch people answering pipes is anything to go with.

15. I dont think so , none of them will turn up ,

16. They Might, stranger things have happened

17. I would guess it is a real word if it keeps them on the upper pay band