Death of Wirral war hero Ian Fraser VC

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by the.rea, Sep 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RIP Hero, for that is what you are.
    Without those like yourself I wouldn't be here and for that I thank you every day.

2. Gone, but not lost to history.R.I.P.
  3. R.I.P. on eternal patrol Sir.

4. I, had the pleasure of having to host Ian at an event to celebrate the Submarine centenery. He was a true and very humble Gent. He spun some great dits and some of his stories about Mick Magennis, who won the VC alongside him were truly hilarious. We cannot ever forget people like this.
  5. I have received the following email:

[quote="ATTACHMENT][align=center]LT CDR IAN FRASER VC DSC RD* RNR[/align]

A Service of Thanksgiving for the life of and work of Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC DSC RD* RNR will be held at St Martin-in-the-Fields Church, Trafalgar Square, London at 1430 on Wednesday 22 April 2009, followed by a reception on site. Dress for the occasion will be Ceremonial Day Dress without sword or a Lounge Suit with medals.

Admission to the Service will be by ticket only. Those wishing to attend are invited to apply for tickets no later than 27 February 2009 to:

Naval Casualty & Employability (NCE)
    Navy Command Headquarters,
    MP 1-4,
    Leach Building,
    Whale Island,
    PO2 8BY

Email: [email protected]

All applications should include the full names of those who wish to attend, any special requirements and should mention the applicant/s connection to Lt Cdr Fraser for the benefit of his family. Tickets will be despatched during the week of 16 March 2009’.[/quote]
  6. I missed this the first time around

R.I.P sir
  7. Although I never saw this real gentleman and hero, I have seen a couple of documentaries about him. I did however meet Basil Godfrey Plaice VC who was my skipper at Ganges in the early 60s. Who later became the skipper of HMS Albion on the Far East Station. Another true gentleman and sadly missed by all who wore the white woolly pully. R.I.P to them both.