Death of the T22 long the live the T25.....?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by angry_mac, Apr 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iam finally coming to the end of my draft on my fourth T22, I've had no choice with what ships I was given I've just been lucky to always been given these great ships, my favourite had to be the batch 2, but hey ho I digress. What I have noticed during these last four years is how these once great FFs are being poorly run and basically how the routines are going to rat shit. I put it down to one thing and one thing only.
    THESE SHIPS ARENT T23S FFS!!!!!!!!! Therefore they arent meant to be run like one. When we run at 100% effect (not 100% manning which is a different thing) we usually have about 230 bods which isabout 50 more than a T23, therefore do we need to run like a 23, no, so why are we?
    I put it down to the lack of T22 officers left. When we had 14 T22s, we had that natural progression, i.e. HODs, navs,deps, all had some T22 experience, now we have HODS,OOWS,COs all with T23 experience, in their woefully short 18 month sea draft on a T22 trying to effect changes(therefore being noticed for promotion) learnt from their time on a T23 or even chuffing worse the pompey 42 stanchions.
    I know my next sea job wont be a T22, four years ago I wouldve been saddened, now I am relieved. By the way this is no way meant to be having a go at the T23s and their extremely professional crews, but you wouldnt ask a Desert Orchid at its prime to run in the grand national now.

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

mac,
    I don't fully get your drift. As someone who has only served on T22's (apart from my baby tiff sea training time) I would be saddened to see anything bad happen to what have been the RN's best ships over the last 20 years. However, having served with you on your current ship, I think it is just possible that said ship has had some bloody awful officers. With a few noteable exceptions, they are the worst lot I have ever served with. The good were very good, the bad...well, don't want to go off on one now do I? I think at the moment you're unlucky. That is the only ship I have served on that I didn't regret leaving and you've been on there a f****** long time. You may feel different a couple of months after coming ashore, I did, hopefully you will too. How long have you got left on there?

3. I am worried by this post - I am about to go back to sea in a 22, and have had all batches over the years. Could you possibly give any generic examples?

4. tiddlyoggy

Be a little more specific please and I'll be glad to offer opinions. Is it mac's post or mine that concerns you?

5. Tiddly , allright mate hows it goin, has this current ship coloured my perception,maybe, but chatting to the other guys in the mess (finally made it back in again) and it seems to be the general consesus among us T22 veterans that its all gone pet tong on here, I mean my first 22 was Broadsword, yet I dont feel my current ship feels like a Broadsword class ship.
    SEP86 what areyou joining next?

6. Thanks for the reply. My concern is T22s not being run properly, which I suppose is Mac's and I know you commented on that, and mentioed that you were on thesame ship. My specific question would be: What routines and ways of working did Mac / you / ships co have an issue with - I am not interested in history or what ship, but I am very interested in being able to consider any routines that may either not work, or piss off the people working them. As I hope you have noticed from the other threads I may not always be 100% rigorous in my posts - and I am working on that - but I am sincere, and this one is very close to home.

7. tiddlyoggy

My problem with that ship was not so much the routines, but more the HOD's. For example sat with the rest of the ME SR's at a TTT for main machinery space fire and NONE of us getting a word in edgeways because two of the HOD's were having a pissing contest. I mean, a main machinery space fire FFS, where is the expertise for that? It was f****** embarrassing! We had a good CO, but because of this example set by some of the HOD's, some of the Lt's became tw**s. There is at least one 2 ringer who I have met twice since we both left the ship who now seems a damn good egg, whilst on there I would not have pissed on him if he was on fire. I could write a lot more, but it would start to get a little personal, hopefully mac will give his side of things too.

8. I must concur with Tiddly on this, with 19 yrs on 22s and as with all my senior rate and killock colleagues on here, we have a lot too bring to the table in how to run these ships, but put these 'best practice' methods to our T23/42 wardroom we get ignored or put back in our box. This is especially seen at TTT and depcos/planning meetings

9. Who gives a fcuk.....all classes of ship are the fcuking same when they're on the receiving end of a Spearfish torpedo.....fcuked! What a shte thread......bummers!

10. tiddlyoggy

Yeah, yeah, targets! Yawn. Can't you cram another reference to "doin' a bird up the wrong 'un" into this thread?

11. I once did tiddlys mrs up the wrong 'un on a type 22.....how's that?

12. tiddlyoggy

Very impressive and very original. Just what I've come to expect from you.

13. Cheers oppo....I do my best!

14. tiddlyoggy

Thanks for your contribution, perhaps we can get back on topic now.

15. What is the topic anyway? I've lost my train of thought and become distracted by the thought of your Mrs having her back door smashed in....

16. tiddlyoggy

I'm not going to turn another thread into a slanging match. Try someone else.

17. A lot of the information being posted about the T22 and HODS trying to run them differently sounds very similar to experiences on the T23 when a lot of HODS were from T42 and also messed up well proven routines and procedures.

Examples changing the ssep to include extra hands for the foam tubes LOL

Ensure the SoP for galley fire so both sides of the galley are boundary cooled as a priority, umm, that will be the one that is the ships side then

and the best one when you complete this ood task book you will be fully conversant with the machinery spaces of a T42. Cut and paste gone wrong

ignoring advice from key personel despite them having served on 2/3 or 4 T23 and them none.

plus many more

I know where your original thread is coming from

18. All good and valid points but what about his Mrs' hoop?

19. I take it that someone has raised a 2022 or modern day equivalent to highlight this or is it a case of "someone should sort this barsteward out"

20. Wrecker, One cannot highlight defiencies in one's officer corp, good god man!

Ron having served with submariners for 3 years in MDC Gib and CTF345, I find that they generally split into two camps.
    1. The majority, typical matelots, a bit short on dits but still top blokes and a good laugh in the pub.
    2. Craven bores who have 3 modes of conversation:-
    a. I get paid loads of money, look at my wad poor skimmers
    b. Targets , Targets, yadda yadda ya
    c. This time in Helensburgh........

You unfortunately slip into the minority of the latter. How ironic you talk about back scuttling a skimmer's missus, I doubt you have ever been out in Faslamabad when a JMC is in town. Oh the memories......