Death of a relative ex HMS Glasgow amongst other

Discussion in 'History' started by nottyash, Aug 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

Forgive me, I am a little bit of an impostor. I am in the Army (Someone has to be). I have posted this cause my dads brother, a former member of the Royal Navy died last week.

He served on HMS Glasgow in his time as well as a few other ships. (He did 15 years in total). He died aged 75. (I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know the remainder of his ships names). Not being Navy and all.

I'm curious to find out, the plan is a cremation, followed by a burial at sea.

Can anyone advise me of where you obtain a poppy floral tribute, with the RN Crest/Ensign, that my dad can carry and deposit at the time of the burial at sea. I have been to my local British Legion and contacted the local Royal Navy association, which I am afraid met with negative results.

Additionally, my uncle only had one picture of HMS Glasgow, that has gone to his only son. My dad would like a picture of the ship, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

My uncles name was Billy Ward, from Liverpool, in case anyone old and bold are members.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Thanks Janner.
  4. just google for HMS Glasgow, Cruiser.theres plenty of pics on line.
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

6. RIP to your uncle .
  7. Sorry to hear about your loss, I'm not navy, although my father did 12 years in the 50's and 60's. He is the area secretary of an RNA area - although he's on holiday at present, if you wish to contact me via pm, I'll see what I can do. They do have a supplier who can arrange a wreath - I'll contact him with your details, or he should know someone who will be able to put you on the right track.

8. Thanks James.

The funeral is tomorrow, so it seems I have left it too late. I have managed to get hold of a British Legion wooden cross, with poppy.

So that will have to do.

Thanks for your help anyway.