Death and Pensions.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by higthepig, May 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there any Chief Writers out there, or anyone with the knowledge.

Putting things in order for when i get my final draft , i need to know,

I have rang two departments and got different answers. when i die what proportion of my pension does my wife get?

I left in July 1979 with my 22 year pension

Answer 1. When you die your pension ceases, your wife is sent a form to fill in, depending on her income(ie other pensions etc) she will get up to 2/3rds of your pension.Could be far less.

Answer 2. When you die, your pension ceases, your wife gets a form to fill in. She will recieve full pension for 3 months (91 days i think he said)Then about half of your pension.

Does anyone out there have the facts, I`m sure that someone can clear it up.

In anticipation, many thanks.

2. Hig,

Check out the Veterans Agency site, all the info is there, I pulled it myself to read later.

www.veterans-uk.info

:biggrin:

3. Thanks,

It would appear that answer 2 appears to be the correct one, but being thick, I cant understand the bits about 75, can someone out there explain it to me in English?

Cheers.

4. Bump

Does nobody know? I thought there would have been explanations, after all this does affect a lot of people past and present.

5. Higs
    Sod the missus, do what I'm going to do and live forever

6. I would love to Slim, but I`ve read the book of life, and it has a sad or happy ending depending on your point of view.

7. Higs I left in 85 and as far as I know my wife gets half my pension when I pop my clogs. However I had to buy in for a number of years prior to a certain date. Unfortunately I can't remember when this was but I believe that I was at RAF Honington if so it would have been between 1973 and 1979.

8. Yes Slim thats what we all think, half the pens, but i dont think that is the case, hoping someone on here can clarify it, someone must know. I`ve had 2 different answers from MOD. Need the facts.(Not desperate tho, at least i hope not)

9. my dad did 14 years- LS(TSM)- when he got killed- another story- my mum got his pension and his gratuity(if spelt right!)-- if that helps?
    She got in touch with naval pay n pensions with dads service stuff and went from there

10. Higs
    have pmd you
    lol
    MH
    xxx

11. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think this is the answer mate:

if you die in retirement, we
    will pay your widow one
    half of the pension the
    scheme paid you before
    your death. This applies to
    that part of a pension
    earned through service
    given after 31 March 1973
    (see note below);

NOTE: For service before 31
    March 1973, widows are
    entitled to only one third of
    the AFPS member’s earned
    pension benefits up to that
    date, unless the member
    opted to make additional
    contributions to increase their
    widow’s pension for earlier
    service. This means that some
    widows’ pensions may be made
    up of an element
    reflecting one third of the
    member’s pension earned for
    service up to 31 March 1973,
    and reflecting one half of the
    member’s pension for service
    from 1 April 1973 to the date
    of discharge.

All seems bloody confusing though, I found this on page 15 of this leaflet:
    http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

Hope it helps, with a bit of luck your missus will only have to wait another 40 years or so :thumright: (these new smilies are shite)

12. Thanks chieftiff
    Thats the one i was thinking of. I bought in when given the option, can't remember how much I paid but it was worth it.

13. Thanks Chief

This means that some
    widows’ pensions may be made
    up of an element
    reflecting one third of the
    member’s pension earned for
    service up to 31 March 1973,
    and reflecting one half of the
    member’s pension for service
    from 1 April 1973 to the date
    of discharge.

Thats what i think, but i got 2 different answers from MOD.

Also read page 15 as well just to confuse things.

Trouble is there does not seem to be anyone on the end of a phone that knows anything for sure.

Hope to get more info from Morse when she returns,

Thanks again.

14. Hig
    Got it in one!!
    Am in UK at the moment but will get all the relevant paperwork out when I get back to Sunny Spain
    lol
    MH
    xx