Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Deal Barracks..

ryan1234

Midshipman
Just out of interest as I live about 10 mins from where the barrakcs used to stand. Were the Royal Marine Commando's ever based there? I've heard that the Commando unit was formed there and they first did the basic training there.. However I don't know how true any of that is.
Thank you!

OK, here's a potted history of Deal for you.

A platoon of Marines was first stationed at Deal in 1665, in 1861 the RM depot was established at Deal, first in the east barracks then taking over North and south barracks, formally Infantry and cavalry barracks and a naval hospital. This was completed in about 1869 and the depot was used to train RMLI. In 1930 the RN school of music moved into the barracks as well, this continued in 1980 as the RM school of music until the bandies moved on in 1997. Deal was the principle place of training for Royal marines until Lympstone took over the training role during the second world war. 41 CDO was based at Deal (when it was at home) from 1977 until it was disbanded in 1981 so yes you could say a CDO unit was based at Deal, however 41 wasn't home much.

wet_blobby said:

A platoon of Marines was first stationed at Deal in 1665, in 1861 the RM depot was established at Deal, first in the east barracks then taking over North and south barracks, formally Infantry and cavalry barracks and a naval hospital. This was completed in about 1869 and the depot was used to train RMLI. In 1930 the RN school of music moved into the barracks as well, this continued in 1980 as the RM school of music until the bandies moved on in 1997. Deal was the principle place of training for Royal marines until Lympstone took over the training role during the second world war. 41 CDO was based at Deal (when it was at home) from 1977 until it was disbanded in 1981 so yes you could say a CDO unit was based at Deal, however 41 wasn't home much.

Ahh thanks!

ryan1234 said:
wet_blobby said:

Why not Google? http://www.walmerweb.co.uk/history/history-marines.html
Thanks! It's so weird to think how much history that place has and as a child we would play on the ruins of the Barracks haha. (Before it was turned into a housing estate).
Do you have any links of where I can learn more about the barracks by any chance?? It's a shame they left deal. Thank you

Junior marines used to complete the first 12 weeks of training at Deal before moving to CTCRM , 229 ( Junior ) Troop were the last sometime in Summer 1977.
at that time time under the SDR , Deal was a strong candidate for closure however a massive local campaign was launched to "keep the marines in Deal"
the campaign was ultimatley successful however unfotunaltey for the locals who only really wanted the Band / School of music 41 Cdo RM having been kicked out of Malta were reformed there.
they proceeded to rape and pilage for the next few years before being disbanded and interestingly there was also later a campaign to get the marines ( commandos) banned from Deal
i was there - great times , fantastic memories !!

Junior marines used to complete the first 12 weeks of training at Deal before moving to CTCRM , 229 ( Junior ) Troop were the last sometime in Summer 1977.
at that time time under the SDR , Deal was a strong candidate for closure however a massive local campaign was launched to "keep the marines in Deal"
the campaign was ultimatley successful however unfotunaltey for the locals who only really wanted the Band / School of music 41 Cdo RM having been kicked out of Malta were reformed there.
they proceeded to rape and pilage for the next few years before being disbanded and interestingly there was also later a campaign to get the marines ( commandos) banned from Deal
i was there - great times , fantastic memories !!

I was at Deal when 41 Cdo reformed there, LtCol Jeremy Moore was the CO. 41 Cdo had been all but disbanded and only a headquarters company was left in Malta at that time. There was controversy in NATO about the disbanding of 41 Cdo, the complaint being that NATO's northern flank had been weakened by the move. The government reversed the decision as a result, HQ company was relocated from Malta to Deal and the other commandos were raided for personnel to bring 41 up to strength.
It was a huge shock for the personnel already serving at Deal. To my consternation and confusion I had to attend NITAT in preparation for deployment to NI.

I joined the Royal Marines at Deal as a junior Marine in Jan 1975 and spent three months there gaining basic military skills, fitness and weapons training , before moving on to The commando training centre.

The place was a shock to the system for a 16 year old but I have fond memories of the barracks and Deal.

I joined the Royal Marines Band at Deal as a junior musician in Feb.1965 aged 14!! Imagine what a shock that was, although, having spent 20 odd months in a Dr Barnados home from age 7 it wasn't such a shock to me as to many others. I want to add a few thoughts on the raging arguments, on various sites, regarding Bandies wearing green berets. In my time, passing out of Deal in 1968 to PVR in 1975, we Bandies were permitted to wear green berets which I did with great pride. NOT because I was a wannabee Bootie but just the pride in the Corps. Let's think for a moment just why one earns a green beret. Yes, of course, it was for a certain 'hardness' but surely it was mostly for the Corps spirit of dedication, commitment, perseverance, brotherhood and that extra spirit of 'never giving up'. As the advert says - A State of Mind. I contend that whilst a Bandie was never as fit/hard as a Bootie every one did FOUR years (in those days) of musical training. Imagine 4yrs of training at Deal, the parades, the square bashing, the picquet duties, the bullshit, the daily practice, room inspections and so forth - more than 'equal', in commitment, to the 9 months it takes to pass out as a Bootie? I also contend this - if all the bandsmen HAD to move over to become a Bootie what percentage would make the grade, in what time scale? Then, vice versa if all Booties HAD to move and become bandsmen how many would make the grade, and in what time scale? Make your own guesses but, in my day, Bandie to Bootie would win hands down, by a mile, over the reverse. In addition, when I did my JNCO course we were actually transferred from the band to the commandos, handing in our instruments and drawing a SLR 76.2mm rifle, all webbing and relevant equipment and performed as booties for 12 weeks doing everything that they did; whilst wearing our green berets!! None dropped out and we all passed the course. Ergo, I feel a Bandie is as entitled to a green beret as any Bootie. Proud to have been a Royal Marine.

OK, first off I was drafted to RM Depot Deal in1975 to work at the RM Depot Infirmary, as it was called. At that time the school of music was already named the RM school of Music and had been since 1950, since when it had moved to Deal.
When I was drafted to the Depot, 41 Cdo was based in Malta. In 1975 the then government decided to to make cuts and in late 1976 41 Cdo was reduced to a headquarters company. Accordingly A&M warfare training was to be reduced to maintain the Marine Corps' maritime role at its current strength.
However, due to pressure from our Nato allies who were concerned about the diminution of the capability to defend Europe's northern flank (Norway) with A&M warfare trained Marines the government did a U turn and 41 Cdo was reformed around their headquarters company at RM Depot in 1977 under the command of Col Secombe and then Col (later Major General) Jeremy Moore, of Falklands War fame.
Shortly after being reformed 41 Cdo did a tour of Northern Ireland.
I had to do NITAT with 41 Cdo due to there being a shortage of RN Cdo medics because the Cyprus business was ongoing. I was not a volunteer and I objected but I was told to expect to serve with them in NI. Thankfully the Turks backed down and I was relieved by a RN Cdo medic.

OK, first off I was drafted to RM Depot Deal in1975 to work at the RM Depot Infirmary, as it was called. At that time the school of music was already named the RM school of Music and had been since 1950, since when it had moved to Deal.
When I was drafted to the Depot, 41 Cdo was based in Malta. In 1975 the then government decided to to make cuts and in late 1976 41 Cdo was reduced to a headquarters company. Accordingly A&M warfare training was to be reduced to maintain the Marine Corps' maritime role at its current strength.
However, due to pressure from our Nato allies who were concerned about the diminution of the capability to defend Europe's northern flank (Norway) with A&M warfare trained Marines the government did a U turn and 41 Cdo was reformed around their headquarters company at RM Depot in 1977 under the command of Col Secombe and then Col (later Major General) Jeremy Moore, of Falklands War fame.
Shortly after being reformed 41 Cdo did a tour of Northern Ireland.
I had to do NITAT with 41 Cdo due to there being a shortage of RN Cdo medics because the Cyprus business was ongoing. I was not a volunteer and I objected but I was told to expect to serve with them in NI. Thankfully the Turks backed down and I was relieved by a RN Cdo medic.
By the way, the main gates were called the Centenary Gates and they were emblazoned with the Globe and Laurels and the date 1965.

The whole estate has now been turned into high grade private houses / flats.

I was looking around one a few years ago as we were moving to Deal.

One was turned into a two bedroom open plan apartment, I really liked it but the missus was not too keen on it as it was more of a single mans trapping parlour...... I pointed to the far corner and told the young estate agent who was showing us round that I had, quite a few years ago been sick in the corner. It was the old gym that had been converted and last time I was there the troop were getting a beasting .......

Latest Threads