Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deacon brain-box wants to go into outer space

Shakey

War Hero
Professor Steven Hawking, noted intellectual and all round Deacon, is going in to space apparently:

From Sky news.
Stephen Hawking, who has spent his career pondering the nature of gravity, has experienced weightlessness for himself.
The astrophysicist took a flight on board a plane usually reserved for trainee astronauts.

Before taking off he said: "I'm very excited. I have been wheelchair bound for almost four decades.

"The chance to float free in zero-g will be wonderful."

The so-called vomit comet undertook eight parabolic dives to recreat the weightlessness of space, before landing back safely to Cape Canaveral.

Peter Diamandis, of the Zero Gravity Corporation, who accompanied the professor said: "We had a
wonderful time. It was incredible, far beyond our expectations."

Hawking, 65, the British author of A Brief History of Time, was surrounded by a medical team on the padded plane.

The professor, who is almost entirely paralysed, hopes his brief, weightless escape from his wheelchair will eventually lead to a voyage into outer space in 2009.

He is getting a free ride on a specially adapted plane known as G-Force-One - otherwise known as the 'vomit comet'.

Mr Hawking was diagnosed with the muscle-wasting motor neuron disease at the age of 22.

He is in a wheelchair and speaks with the aid of a computer and voice synthesiser.

His work has centred on theoretical cosmology and quantum gravity, looking at the nature of such subjects as space-time, the "big bang" theory and black holes.

I saw the piccys of him doing this on telly last night, I p1ssed myself...fair play to the bloke but what a laugh. :twisted:

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
it has made me smile all day. It puts josephs achievements of leaving the blue peter garden gate unlocked, knobbing janet ellis and falling off rags the biffa pony pale into insignificance!

mongers are brilliant aren't they. If I had one I would make it live in a kennel in my garden.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Waspie A tribute to Billy Deacon RIP. Ex RN Aircrewman The Fleet Air Arm 7
lukep Quate or Joey Deacon?? The community votes! The Gash Barge 14
Shakey Joey Deacon Diamond Lil's 24
MoD_RSS Primary Authority helps SA Brain & Co with Food Safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Innovative brain cancer treatment aid now available across England MoD News 0
Blackrat Engaging the Brain. Diamond Lil's 14
BillyNoMates Brain farts. Diamond Lil's 54
Sumo Brain Tset for the old gtis, yuogntsres may aslo fial? Diamond Lil's 36
Naval_Gazer NHS nurse who had brain surgery is to fight piracy Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
soleil Sun: "Taliban Bullet Went Through My Brain" The Corps 2
NZ_Bootneck Bret Michaels has Brain fart Diamond Lil's 6
trelawney126 Does Blunkett have a Brain to Donate? Diamond Lil's 1
T Artificial Brain 10 Years away, according to BBC Online The Gash Barge 4
T Is your brain sex different from your body sex? Diamond Lil's 11
R Warfare Officer or CT (Brain Picking) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Gombear Brain Development Current Affairs 11
C Discovering the Brain Power Health & Fitness 8
T MoD reveals scale of brain injuries among veterans.... Current Affairs 0
brazenhussy brain teaser The Gash Barge 6
A A little alcohol is good for your brain... The Quarterdeck 6
A Teenagers' tantrums: it's all in the brain Diamond Lil's 23
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
soleil The Not Forgotten Association - 'Forgot You Not' Gift Box For WWII Veterans History 1
MoD_RSS UK's iconic first red public telephone box listed MoD News 0
A I like how there are 3 recent threads for the exact same thing. This is beyond not using the search box. Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 completes biggest demolition challenge yet at site of new Old Oak Common tunnel crossover box MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: uk4u Thanks! launches 2016 Christmas box appeal MoD News 0
V Possible Naval box found in attic History 5
MoD_RSS News story: Uk4u Thanks! Christmas Box campaign launched MoD News 0
MG Maniac Hide the remote! Cowells' back on the box! Diamond Lil's 7
soleil ITV London: "Red Phone Box Installed On Warship" The Fleet 1
MG Maniac Open a new box of sailors????? Diamond Lil's 3
J Cardboard box ... Miscellaneous 0
S What's in the box? Diamond Lil's 7
alfred_the_great Falklands War - "Red Cross Box" The Fleet 10
soleil Christmas Juke Box Diamond Lil's 43
soleil BBC: "UK Forces To Get Christmas Charity Box Surprise" Charity 0
S Juke Box Diamond Lil's 99
Bergen A Special Box For Nicholas Diamond Lil's 3