DE Warfare Officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Colin747, Dec 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1. Would anyone here be able to give me more detailed information on what you do as a Warfare Officer, i have read the careers info in the RN site, but would like more detailed info.(i would be looking to be General Service)

2. I assume as i am a direct entry that i will be a midshipman at BRNA, the RN site says that promotion to Lieutentant is automatic, does this mean after BRNA or does it mean after Fleet time training?

3. Roughly how often do you go on long tours i.e 6 months +.
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What more details would you like? Deployments depend upon ship's programmes but a good ball park figure is one deployment per 18 months.
  3. What you actully do on a day-to-day basis.
  4. Where's your sense of adventure? Join up and find out.
  5. What about number two then, its the one thats annoying me.
  6. Download pdf file on Warfare from HERE. It tells you that during Fleet training time you will be studying for your Fleet Board examination, whatever that is.

By the way, when I put Warfare Officer into the RN site search box I got 1153 hits ordered 8 to a page across 116 pages. Check it out, it has notes from officers serving on ships, news items, training, etc.
  7. Heads up its Britannia Royal Naval College, not Academy, not like the perceys!
  8. silverfox

listen to wise old people like HB...
  9. Hi
    As far as i understand it, if you don't have a degree upon entry to BRNC you will be Midshipman, and if you pass BRNC upon exit you are promoted to Sub lieutenant.

If you have a degree upon entry you are Sub-Lieutenant, upon passing out you are promoted to Lieutenant.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
  10. That sounds like complete bollocks!!! If that was the case then you'd never see Middies at sea, and I have! Also, to be promoted to Lt after passing out you need to be an SUY (unless you're a E(TM) then you are a Lt all through training)

Don't quote me on this though, it's not backed up by references but I'm pretty sure it's more accurate than Nat's post, sorry to piss on your bonfire Nat!
  11. silverfox

I'm afraid you are wrong. Promotion depends upon time served in the rank. The only people, stand fast medics, who pass out as Lts are the E(TM)s. SUYs pick up their second stripe the day after.
  12. Can't understand why SUYs don't go through course as a Lt like the E(TM)s - Would save having to put the No1s back into the tailor after passing out!!
  13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You could always all join as an Admiral, saves any of that promotion bollocks. :roll:
  14. Ninja's post in another Topic:

Just to clarify Officer Seniority upon joining:

From 1 April 2007 a sliding scale of seniority based on Educational Qualifications was introduced. This scale is designed to reflect the more varied routes to a similar standard of qualification and is designed to widen the spread of applicants to the Naval Service. A summary of the scale is as follows:

Masters Degree or Equivalent Antedated Seniority 3.5 yrs
    Graduate or equivalent 3 yrs
    Foundation Degree or equivalent HNC or Equivalent 1 yr
    Basic Entrant- GCSEs, GNVQ and A levels NIL

These rules apply to mainstream X,E,L and RM officers. Existing rules will apply to E(TM/IS) entrants where credits for degree class and work experience will apply. UY/CC ENTRANTS.

UY/CC entrants are likely to hold only the minimum officer entry qualifications but most join BRNC/CTCRM over the age of 21. Under current rules these UY/CCs join with 3 years seniority (Sub Lt + 1 Year). Unless special provision for UY/CCs was made, under the above rules based purely on Educational Qualifications, they would gain no antedated seniority having to join as Midshipman with no account taken of their previous Naval Service experience. UY/CCs will therefore be awarded up to 3 years seniority based on their experience since the age of 18 in recognition of their service as a former Rating/Other rank. No additional seniority based on educational qualifications will be made.

Full years of service as rating since age of18 Rank/seniority – RN Rank (on entry) -RM Rank/seniority – RM after completion of Phase 2 training
    Less than 1 year Mid 2LT Lt
    1 year Mid with 1 years seniority 2LT Lt with 1 years seniority
    2 years S/Lt 2LT Lt with 2 years seniority
    3 years S/Lt 2LT Captain

The introduction of JPA in November 2006 enabled the pay of new officer entrants to be harmonised across all 3 Armed Forces bringing the RN pay system into line with the Army and Royal Air Force. The main difference in the pay system is that non graduates will enter on a lower starting salary than graduates until they complete their initial officer training. From 1 April 2007 all non graduates join on OF1 Level 1 - £14349 pa until moving to OF1 Level 5 - £22680 on completing Initial Officer Training (on leaving Dartmouth or CTC Lympstone). They will then progress through the pay range by annual increments. On promotion to Sub Lieutenant they move to OF1 Level 6 - £27260.

Graduates join on OF1 Level 7 – £27981 depending on qualifications and then progress through the pay range by annual increments.

I read that (and previous posts in that topic) to mean that when (although still need medical results!) i go to BRNC (with no degree) i will be a midshipan.

Although i agree with Wetblobby, i think i'm just going to skip all the bull shit and go straight to Admiral.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ta Nat, I was looking for that but couldn't find it, it's an age thing! :thumright:

You get my vote for admiral.
  16. When i click on the links it just keeps bringing me back to the News and Events page.

Basically what i'm looking to know is if i join as a Midshipman with no seniority roughly how long until you would get promoted to Lieutenant?
  17. silverfox

You and me both!!!
  18. silverfox

Should be within 5 years....
  19. Well you would promoted to Sub-lietenant first surely? Then Lieutenant.
  20. Colin, I just clicked on the link I posted on page 1 of this thread and it took me straight to the downloads page. Try it again. If not go to the site and click on Careers then Careers/Roles or stick this in your address bar On the right hand side is a big fcuk off square that says 'Download an Information Pack'. Click on that and you will see 37 ickle squares each of which is an specific career download. There are halkf a dozen for weapons related careers.
    FFS, and people say bootnecks are thick! :)