Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by ej2009, Jan 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone please tell me what

Deployment Continuation Training is please and what it involves

2. Anyone at all????
  3. I'll bite
    As its name suggests, Directed Continuation Training is delivered by FOST prior to a unit deploying. What is involved depends on who you are and where you are going.
  4. The far east
  5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

It is three weeks of fun filled time in the careing hands of FOST. I am going to take a wild stab in the dark - are you doing one soon? If you are on the unit I think you are then do not panic. There will soon be XTM's and briefs up the ying yang to help you prepare. In fact why not pop along to the Thu War Brief next Wed in the JRDH.

DCT is conducted by units about to deploy. Navy HQ will draw up a Training Directive that gives FOST the areas that they need to ensure the unit is capable of achieving. It is tailored for each unit as some will be running R2 Amphibious Flagships for example or straight from BOST and about to sail away for the Gulf. From the TD a programme will be drawn up and certain areas focused on. For example BULWARK will soon do DCT and will concentrate on Warfare and CBRNDC training. Unlike a full BOST time is tight so it is only there to check that the running unit is able to safely perform her duties on what ever she has been tasked with.

Hope that helps.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Back in the mists of yore (2000), as a FOST Mobile Training Team instructor, we (a team of 5) used to join a deploying ship (prior to it reaching theatre) and train-up the ship's company as requested by ship staff- specific to the potential threat.

Common training used to involve joining an Armilla bound ship at Gib, teaching/refreshing chemical warfare training, then jumping off a few days later at Souda Bay. There were other trips involving island-hopping in the Windies, just bringing ship-teams up to scratch & the dreaded 12 weekly trip to the Falklands to train up the oft-rotated crews of the Castle-Class fixture in Mare Harbour & random visiting T23 or T42.
  7. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Still happens, now called Continuation Training. You bid for them to come and visit you and get a top up. DCT is designed to assure Navy HQ that the unit can do the job.

Mind you with gapping at FOST getting CT cover is proving hard and harder.
  8. It's the Bulwark I'm talking about. How long are they gonna be out for do you reckon. My partner says he's sailing tomorrow afternoon. There off to the far east on the 18th
  9. Good ole DOST.

We did DOST before we deployed then the fosties came out for a Jolly later on lol
  10. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Due to Operational Security I can say on here. But if you speak to your partner and ask them for a copy of the Longcast it will give you the ship's programme until Dec 09.

The ship will be doing DCT until 29 Jan (not a state secret) and then deploying to the Far East on TAURUS 09 at the end of Feb. There will be a web site on the RN web site soon with all the details and updates. Also the ship will be pushing out plenty of pre-deployment information for families and friends.

The thing to remember is the next few weeks are going to be hectic and your partner will be working long hours under considerable stress (all part of the training). Bear this in mind, oh yes they might not have email connectivity all the time. Normal Mail is always welcome.

I would also recommend the RN community web site www.rncom.mod.uk. If you register there is loads of useful information on there.
  11. I spent a lot of time on deployments to the Far East. Love to go back out there again sometime.
  12. He said something about his ship being back in on the 16th. That it gets back in on the Friday depending on the time depends if he's gonna be up to driving home or not.

More than anything I'm wondering if the Bulwark will make it to the far east this year!
  13. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

ej2009 -

Please be careful what comments you put into the public domain on here.

If needs be, PM your comments to correspondents.

14. Im agreed with lever, ej. Always remember OPSEC and PERSEC, these are public intenet forums.
  15. Oops
    Sorry I didn't realise I couldn't say anything
  16. The phrase "Loose Lips Sink Ships" still has some relevance here. Shy away from naming ships and units, specific dates and locations departing from and heading towards. Also stay away from names of people. Other than that as long as you're specifically vague ... or vaguely specific in your questions and comments you should be fine.

If you’re not as well informed as you’d like to be then you need to have a proper discussion with your other half. The Longcast mentioned by Guns is the document which should provide you everything you need or want to know about his programme.

17. I am amazed your other half didn't answer your questions? He'd know more of what his vessel is doing than we do to be honest
  18. Well we spoke about the LC and he said its not available to familes and friends and that there is no dates and that everything just says visit.
  19. OPSEC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!