DBS/CRB check?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 306dturbo, Dec 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi all

    Wondering if a CRB or DBS (as it seems to be known as now) check is done by the RN for submariners or if I need to get one myself?

    Asking as I know it can take a long time

  2. Your careers office will send you one if it is required for your role, not sure if all roles need it.
  3. Why do you think you'd need a DBS for serving on boats?

    Even if you did need one, the one you had done outside would need to be done again once you'd joined.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Only Medical Assistants, Nursies & Medical Officers require what used to be called CRB or Enhanced Disclosure. The service pays for it.

    Not to be confused with Security Clearance, which everyone in the Naval Service requires (unlike some other branches of the Armed Forces). Again, the service pays for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Surely you need a CRB for working with people with 'special needs' and as most submariners are 'Speshul' .............
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Oi, steady there, there's nuffink wrong wiv me or BNM!
  7. It is illegal to have one done on your self, so dont try. Can be done by employer on an employee.

    Who can ask for a DBS check
    An employer can ask for a DBS check for certain roles.

    DBS eligibility guidance lists most roles that are eligible for a check. However, the guidance isn’t comprehensive so contact DBS if unsure.

    Applicants (job candidates) can’t do a criminal records check on themselves. Instead, they can request a ‘basic disclosure’ fromDisclosure Scotland (you don’t have to be from Scotland to do this).
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. You dont, I do, I was.

    Self employed and my employers can if they want but they must pay, I wont.
  9. Interesting you should mention that, I went for a job in the West Yorkshire Police call centre a while ago where I had to complete a vetting form.

    Went to the local police station to 'ask if I had anything on my file' (got a section 59 driving offence, didn't know if it had to be declared), unknowing that it can't just be told to me there and then.

    The receptionist encouraged me to go do a DBS check on myself and even gave me the leaflets/website address!

    Feeling glad I didnt now if it's illegal :/
  10. Sorry to bring back an old thread... I've been informed that I need to gain an enhanced CRB (is it known now as DBS?) my question is do I need to wait for this CRB/DBS to be 'granted' before I will be allocated an entry date? (Ive had my SC granted again after it expired after a year)

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    You can be allocated an entry date pending CRB, Disclosure or whatever it's called this week.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I was hoping so! Thanks for the info

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share This Page