Day to day life?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by trev88, Mar 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's day to day life like as a weapons engineer?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. You wake up, scratch your plums, switch on the PC, access RR, then hit the 'search' button.

Have a nice day.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

They're all asleep still. Come back later.
  4. If you're awake at this time of the morning, then WE is not your calling.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Weapons Engineers for the most part, in general service, don't keep watches (shifts). The equipment they maintain tends to be 'running' at sea but there tend to be fewer moving parts in electronic circuitary, with the majority of 'defects' being generated by the equipment users (Very often the Warfare Department). A good number of defects reported are not in fact defects, sometimes the user doesn't realise there's an on/off switch, volume control switch, display screen dimmer switch, etc.

As such, Weapons Engineers, not tasked with ship husbandry duties or watchkeeping duties, tend to congregate in recreational areas, usually lying across several seats to conserve energy and keep them warm for other mess members who may later need one.

Historically, genuine defects of a more complex nature traditionally involve inviting the equipment manufacturer to visit the location of the defect to rectify it under contract. Fault finding and locating the location of the defect usually involves the WNCBC priniciple. (Willy Nilly Circuit Board Changes).

Generally eight hours sleep a day is the norm. Plus, of course, a similar period of nightime sleep also. Eventually a WE will spot this post and dispute it, or ask a contractor to dispute it on their behalf.
    • Like Like x 11
  6. I say NS, you're not a WE are you?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. First paragraph is frighteningly accurate! But I must pull you up on your WNCBC - it is actully the world famous WNBS or Willy Nilly Board Shuffle and spookily works a lot of the time!

Right, just off for a lie down.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't listen to them, it's jealousy as WE's have great career potential outside in civilian engineering/IT companies, whereas our dabber (warfare) friends end up in 'business development" or McDonalds....

WE is becoming key to many facets of operational support, weapons, sensors and increasingly the C2 systems aspect. Good career prospects afloat and ashore.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

I should add, as WD points out, that there are many transferable skills and qualifications, it is certainly a good branch to join and civilian career opportunites are excellent.

In short, it beats working for a living.
  10. or you could jack it all in and become a dabber.....
  11. I did the reverse. Went from OM to WE, it beat sitting on the plot for 8 hours a day. Now I am mess deck security, ensuring dabbers don't touch the TV or crayon on the bulkheads. Seriously though, best career move I made. Glad I didn't stay dabber or choose spec.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ah yes, the mess telly.

Forgot about that, this is the primary bit of kit the WE Senior Rate is responsible for. Remote battery replacement and de-tuning the channel in the middle of a mess movie could not be achieved without the WE maintainer present.
  13. TV Man is the hardest PJT in the fleet.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Imagine being a WE middie at wardroom film night....
  15. Try being the maintainer whilst at sea during a cup final and the dabber ****pig OOW decides to alter course. Causing the satellite to wood, cue multiple phone calls.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

In some ways the hapless WE TV maintainer probably spawned the principle of recycling and separating gash. Without this person in the mess when the TV picture is lost, there would be no single point of direction in which to launch your empty beer tin.

This probably stopped the Blue Whale becoming extinct. Or something.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I bet you made no-badge Chief Tiff's cry as well didn't you?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair there are two WE jobs that always seemed hard-working: Internal Comms & Gun Buster. That said, they would still be technically responsible if the TV went duff and they were representing the department in the mess.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. We were about to be shown an old-style film at BRNC Dartmouth (remember Bell & Howell and Elf projectors?) when the Course Officer asked whether any of us were prospective WEOs. When an enthusiastic hand shot up, its owner was instructed to turn off the lights.
  20. Recognition at last :bow:

Thank dog we didn't have Sky on board when I was still in - I wouldn't have the right size hammer to fix that :tongue3:
    • Like Like x 1