David Cameron confirms HMS Prince of Wales will be operated by RN rather than sold or mothballed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BristolBastard, Sep 5, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read his comment on Facebook he said enters service I presume 1 will be mothballed and 1 crewed. The same situation as with the LPDs.

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I wonder what will be cut to pay for it.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps means QE will be mothballed instead.

4. No way on God's earth they are going to mothball the QE while the Queen is still alive

• Like Like x 1
  5. I should imagine one will be at 'extended readiness', if not in refit. Both in commission though, with ships companies (one reduced for the ship at 'extended readiness').

No way could we afford the manpower to fully crew up both. Unless something else was cut.. (For example, 8 x T26's only, with us retaining the original River class as well as the 3 x new ones???).

6. Would 8x26 be enough to provide for 2 carrier groups?

7. Not if the UK wants to retain maritime commitments elsewhere.

To my humble crustacean mind, frigates are the heart of any credible navy (I believe Nelson said something about that!) and T26 the most important ship programme for the RN.

Recent press reports suggest that Army numbers may be reduced further to 65K in SDSR to facilitate upgrades to the RN and RAF. Hopefully this is political acknowledgement that the campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan have resulted in a poorly balanced UK military.

Regards,
    MM

8. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

@MM. Yet again you have a finger on the pulse and seem to have a greater understanding than any of the clowns in Westminster
    It is a shame you cannot get them to listen.
    From what you have said on here and on Arrse I have the idea that you would have made a good RN officer. Tis a shame you turned the wrong way in the careers office ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

9. Thanks pink primate! I'll take that as a compliment!

I don't regret turning the way I did in the careers office (although when I joined up, there were separate offices for each service)! However, I do pride myself on trying to remain Joint in outlook and have long genuinely believed that the UK is far better served by a Maritime and Air centric defence policy.

Regards,
    MM

• Like Like x 2
  10. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

MM. First I have been called that. We do the best we can. Nothing wrong with Joint as we all have different tricks to bring to the party.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  11. Couldn't agree more RM!

Regards,
    MM

12. Is 19 enough FF/DD's??? No. But that what we have now.

I doubt we will get 13 T26. We were promised 12 T45 remember?

13. Sometimes reality slaps the government in the face.

We were promised 8 Astute SSN's. That went down to 4, then to 6 and now it's 7.

As for how many T26's, not as many as we want/need but I'm sure a compromise will come in there somewhere.

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Nelson's words were in relation to frigates as the scouting accessory to the battlefleet. Today Nelson would be decrying the want of LRMP and AEW (real MODERN AEW like Hawkeye, at a decent altitude and able to manage the CAP). DD/FF are ancillary to the carrier, not an end in themselves - it is the carrier that provides the OFFENSIVE capability. In the modern world, without a carrier there is no war capability - only peacetime odd-jobbing.

15. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Its an interesting announcement and I wonder how much of it was run through MOD first - the SDSR is now going to have to work to an assumption of running two CVF which leaves us a deficit of 700 odd crew, and a need to fund it through life, which may not necessarily have been assumed before. What will give in order to do this?

I sense Army cuts coming, and big time.

16. Submarines? Carriers are very powerful tools, indeed I agree the most powerful as long as there are suitable strike aircraft to fly off them, but I think you're being too extreme there.

Also, not really been following it, but surely we're getting someHawkeye-style system? Seems like a v. cost efficient way to get more bang for the carrier buck. (Edit: Didn't think about the whole cats and traps thing. Schoolboy error)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  17. Maybe.

18. The forces might be unbalanced but I'm not sure cutting another 15,000 soldiers is the best way to balance it out.
    Obviously that's the cheap way of doing it.