David and Goliath- Power Struggle

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Taloolah, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was sent to me on an email and I thought it might be appreciated here !

The following is the transcript of an actual radio conversation in
    October 1995, between a US Navy ship and the British authorities off the north coast of Scotland . The transcript was released by the M.O.D on the 10/10/95.

BRITISH: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid
    collision.

US Navy : Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the North to avoid collision

BRITISH: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the

South to avoid collision

US Navy : This is the Captain of US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

BRITISH: Negative I say again divert your course.

US Navy : THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER 'USS LINCOLN' THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S 15 DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER
    MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

BRITISH : We are a Lighthouse.- F*ck off !! :rambo:

2. Strangley enough the ship in the movie looks exactly like a Type 42 RN Destroyer which means we had at least one Canadian/USA bred sailor on the ship that day.

Its a great dit for all of that when I first heard it it was a Canadian Lighthouse.

Nutty

3. It was a Canadian lighthouse in the Telegraph when I first read it many years ago.