Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daughter joining the navy.

Oldpongo

I apologise now for my spelling but what can you expect from a pongo. My daughter has nearly finished with university and is thinking of going into the RN. She has been with the local RNR so knows a bit about the navy and the lifestyle. However she never undertook A-Levels so won't have any UCAS points till Jan 16 when her qualifications (Access to higher education diploma) comes under the new ucas table. Then she will have 92 points under the new ucas points. I have been advising her to get a commission but she worries that her ucas points won't count and secondly her maths is only average with a C at GCSE and that was in 2010.
So my questions for you shippers are:

1. What job as a rating would be best for someone who isn't great at maths but can still get decent qualifications for back in civvie street and promotion aspects? I know this cancels out engineering branch.

2. Whats promotion like currently, obviously depending on branch?

3. Time at sea, From the RNR my daughter has heard everything from don't join to why aren't you going full time yet. So what would be the best job for family life as iknow from experience moving every 2 years is a pain.

Sumo

War Hero
Best she takes her UCAS points to an AFCO and find out her options, grade C at maths may not be as big a block as you think. Best check out all options and go from there.

Here biggest draw back will be having a pongo for an old man, but she doesn't have to mention that?:p:D

Ninja who admits to being an AFCO may be along and give better info than I have?

Richbomber

Badgeman
If you have a look on the Navy recruiting site, job finder you don't need any GCSE's for a number of roles including engineering! As with the Army they will teach you all you need to know as long as you can pass the recruit test, which to be fair is pretty easy. A C in Maths is not that bad and, just for info D is the minimum needed to join the REME. So if that's what she is interested in don't discount it just yet. If it's solely the officer route she wants, Ninja would be the best to advise.

PS they love Pongos on here really :)

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You will need 180 UCAS points to entertain the AIB and Officer role. Plus 5 GCSEs that include English and Maths at Grade C or above. You do not need any A levels or GCSEs for rating, just to pass the Recruit Test.

Don't be obsessed with the Officer route, there are many lovely careers out there available as a rating.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
By the way, I'm pretty near the inner circle of Engineering Training in the RN, and it would amaze you the level of maths that some people don't bring with them..... that's why they spend all that time doing Academics...:cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS More jail time for mother complicit in daughter’s sexual assault MoD News 0
W Looking to join the navy, unsure due to daughter Nearest & Dearest 2
C Daughter wanting join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Teenage daughter (18) in recruiting phase. Joining the Royal Navy 20
angry_mac So my daughter looks like she's joini The Quarterdeck 8
A 15yr old daughter wants to join reserves - advice please Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 32
trelawney126 Bliars daughter joins the bandwagon. Diamond Lil's 26
tam Couple sentenced to 25 years for murder of daughter. Current Affairs 123
janner Stans Daughter Diamond Lil's 15
babystew my daughter said Miscellaneous 0
scouse Help wanted for the Daughter of a Merchant Seaman Current Affairs 6
soleil York: "RN Engineer's daughter christened in HMS York bell" The Fleet 3
T MP employs daughter.... what about Noobs too? Diamond Lil's 6
T Every mum wants WAFOO for a son and SEAMAN for her daughter Diamond Lil's 4
L Farmers Daughter The Internet - Best and Worst 2
D faking your daughter's kidnapping for cash. Diamond Lil's 25
Chockheads_WM Like Father, Like Son (or Like Mother, like Daughter). Diamond Lil's 5
B Take my daughter, please? SCC and URNU 32
P Joining during COVID-19 RFA 3
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Course joining instructions Bases / Shore Est 7
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Officer joining requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Trying to trump the age stakes. Joining at 38, possibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Joining up with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Joining with hay-fever. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Multiirishman Joining the Rfa RFA 18
N Joining as a Warfare Officer submarine v surface Joining the Royal Navy 4
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
Y Issue about Joining (Asperger's) Joining the Royal Navy 1
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
N Joining Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
S Joining tip’s and info Joining the Royal Navy 74
TechnicPR Joining with Aspergers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
A Am I banned from joining the navy? Joining the Royal Navy 39
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
E Joining up! Various. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
JBNVY18 Re Joining after PVR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
David-19™ Joining the Royal Marines Reserve at 30. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
T Joining process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Joining age, when is actually too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21