Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Date of introduction of wooly pullys and no.8s?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
If it makes no sense to issue short-sleeved shirts to officers to wear with jerseys, because short-sleeves are for warm weather and jerseys are obviously for cold; why get junior ratings to wear short sleeves with jerseys?

Apart from 8's, they've never been issued long sleeved shirts, unless you have a long sleeved white front in your wardrobe. The 3's shirt replaced the white front for half blues wear and a No 3 red badge suit went south decades ago.

B

Billy Q

Apart from 8's, they've never been issued long sleeved shirts, unless you have a long sleeved white front in your wardrobe. The 3's shirt replaced the white front for half blues wear and a No 3 red badge suit went south decades ago.

Admiralty Circular 3392/40Q issued in 1940 stated that Men dressed as Seamen drafted to some 12 overseas RNAS's from RNAS Aden (HMS Sheba) to RNAS Trincomalee (HMS Bambara) together with those drafted to Australian Shore Stations, were to be issued with khaki Aertex long sleeved shirts and KD trousers. The trousers were to be kept up with a white class 2 waistbelt (money belt) White waistbelts had been introduced for use on white and khaki tropical clothing in 1939. The blue ones stained in tropical weather. Lightweight long sleeved bush jackets were also issued. If ratings wanted matching khaki socks and brown shoes they had to purchase themseves from air force or army quartermasters .Royal Navy shoulder titles were also issued. The first issue of this new walking-out kit began in july 1941

Last edited by a moderator:
G

guestm

If it makes no sense to issue short-sleeved shirts to officers to wear with jerseys, because short-sleeves are for warm weather and jerseys are obviously for cold; why get junior ratings to wear short sleeves with jerseys?

**** me. I'm sorry for your troubles.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Admiralty Circular 3392/40Q issued in 1940 stated that Men dressed as Seamen drafted to some 12 overseas RNAS's from RNAS Aden (HMS Sheba) to RNAS Trincomalee (HMS Bambara) together with those drafted to Australian Shore Stations, were to be issued with khaki Aertex long sleeved shirts and KD trousers. The trousers were to be kept up with a white class 2 waistbelt (money belt) White waistbelts had been introduced for use on white and khaki tropical clothing in 1939. The blue ones stained in tropical weather. Lightweight long sleeved bush jackets were also issued. If ratings wanted matching khaki socks and brown shoes they had to purchase themseves from air force or army quartermasters .Royal Navy shoulder titles were also issued. The first issue of this new walking-out kit began in july 1941

Nice history lesson but back to the case, JR's don't get issued with long sleeve shirts, the gear you're on about was a tropical working rig issued to those in warmer climes as 8's weren't around back then, it was either half blues or No 3's for JR's in Naval uniform, not borrowed pongo rig.

B

Billy Q

Nice history lesson but back to the case, JR's don't get issued with long sleeve shirts, the gear you're on about was a tropical working rig issued to those in warmer climes as 8's weren't around back then, it was either half blues or No 3's for JR's in Naval uniform, not borrowed pongo rig.

AFO 2126/1945 introduced No 8 Dress AWD Ratings The initial supplies were to be in an inferior fabric due to shortage of the preferred material but would be changed as soon as the better fabric became available.
AFO2125/45 Uniform-Officers , Action Dress and was to be No14 Dress The superior fabric was used immediately for their supplies. but officers had to purchase the No 14 dress from service sources.

Wrecker, not that I want to take Billy's side, but what did JR's not dressed as seamen (eg tiffs, sa's, wtr's, etc) use to wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Wrecker, not that I want to take Billy's side, but what did JR's not dressed as seamen (eg tiffs, sa's, wtr's, etc) use to wear?

They wore the same as SR's but I'm talking for ratings dressed as seamen, Billy's already covered the pullover they were issued.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
AFO 2126/1945 introduced No 8 Dress AWD Ratings The initial supplies were to be in an inferior fabric due to shortage of the preferred material but would be changed as soon as the better fabric became available.
AFO2125/45 Uniform-Officers , Action Dress and was to be No14 Dress The superior fabric was used immediately for their supplies. but officers had to purchase the No 14 dress from service sources.

You were quoting 1940's regs wrt to long sleeved shirts, No 8's weren't around then as you've just proven!!

They wore the same as SR's but I'm talking for ratings dressed as seamen, Billy's already covered the pullover they were issued.

But (sorry to be pedantic here) no one ever made the distinction of Seamen and non-seamen rates. It was just

... they've never been issued long sleeved shirts, unless you have a long sleeved white front in your wardrobe. .

No offence, but the seaman branch must surely have been outnumbered by all the other branches and in your own words both of our branches wore fore and aft rig as JRs and thus more branches would have had long sleeve 3's shirts than didn't have at the time?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
But (sorry to be pedantic here) no one ever made the distinction of Seamen and non-seamen rates. It was just

No offence, but the seaman branch must surely have been outnumbered by all the other branches and in your own words both of our branches wore fore and aft rig as JRs and thus more branches would have had long sleeve 3's shirts than didn't have at the time?

They weren't called 3's "back in the day", 3's was the red badge square rig and the S&S wouldn't outnumber the other branches, stokers wore square rig and the seaman branch was mahoosive as it encompassed greenies and all sorts of other, now defunct, sub branches.

B

Billy Q

Ahem!
This is the History Forum. We're talking history.

Skipperino

Badgeman
The current Bore for England team of Alan Yentob , Alan Shearer , John Craven and Lenny Henry would win the World Cup if they brought twunt Skipperino on as sub.

You'd better believe it...I'm currently being asked by the BBC if I will do a pilot of 'Men Behaving Mildly' with John Major and Alan Bennett.

Hargraves

Midshipman
I got my first (round neck) Woolly Pully in 1977, aged 11, and have worn them ever since. They are unbeatable IMHO.

Mackan2017

Badgeman
I got my first (round neck) Woolly Pully in 1977.....
Yep, that sounds about right......I was on the Matapan when woolly-pullies were authorised for issue (in their first guise)....I think that berets for all ratings (officers already had them) came in at around the same time....or was it just before? Maybe 1976 or so? Surely someone on these pages must have a copy of the DCI!! :)
I can't remember exactly when red-on-blue shoulder slides took over from red rate badges on the left arm for leading rates & POs.....but I do remember the first shoulder slides as being the white ones that were also worn on foulies.....

Hargraves

Midshipman
Yep, that sounds about right......I was on the Matapan when woolly-pullies were authorised for issue (in their first guise)....I think that berets for all ratings (officers already had them) came in at around the same time....or was it just before? Maybe 1976 or so? Surely someone on these pages must have a copy of the DCI!! :)
I can't remember exactly when red-on-blue shoulder slides took over from red rate badges on the left arm for leading rates & POs.....but I do remember the first shoulder slides as being the white ones that were also worn on foulies.....

In 1977, when I got my first Woolly Pully, I was but a schoolboy of 11! In fact I got two of them then, one Navy and one Army.
And I have been wearing Woolly Pullies ever since as I absolutely love them!!!
The earliest versions I had were without the velcro-closing shoulder straps/epaulettes that came in around 1979/80. In the CCF (early to mid-80s) at boarding school, those straps were embossed with the school crest, which was also sewn onto the arms of the jumper.
I currently have versions of the Navy Woolly Pully without the epaulettes, with epps and with epps and a pen pocket seen into the arm - all of them courtesy of Outdoor Knitwear in Leicester!

slim

War Hero
In 1977, when I got my first Woolly Pully, I was but a schoolboy of 11! In fact I got two of them then, one Navy and one Army.
And I have been wearing Woolly Pullies ever since as I absolutely love them!!!
The earliest versions I had were without the velcro-closing shoulder straps/epaulettes that came in around 1979/80. In the CCF (early to mid-80s) at boarding school, those straps were embossed with the school crest, which was also sewn onto the arms of the jumper.
I currently have versions of the Navy Woolly Pully without the epaulettes, with epps and with epps and a pen pocket seen into the arm - all of them courtesy of Outdoor Knitwear in Leicester!
You bstrd, no wonder I cannot get a wooly pully looks like you have cornered the market

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Start date timeline Joining the Royal Navy 8
Skylarker Deferred start date RFA 4
MoD_RSS A letter from Rishi Sunak to Sir David Norgrove on the date of the government and UK Statistics Authority’s response to their joint consultation on re MoD News 0
T Earlier entry date for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
T Raleigh Entry date Joining the Royal Navy 5
J 15th Feb intake date, anyone else? Joining the Royal Navy 1
O Joining date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS National Apprenticeship Week 2021 date announced MoD News 0
B Fitness and start date Joining the Royal Navy 4
T Raleigh Entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
D This up-to-date-MOD Modern and efficient., The Gash Barge 3
MoD_RSS Revised target date for completion of LCF investigation MoD News 0
B Start date Joining the Royal Navy 4
M Phase 2 start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
chorzxx December 2020 intake date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Furlough scheme cut-off date extended to 19 March MoD News 0
soleil Film: 'Greyhound', starring Tom Hanks - 1942 - A Convoy Edges Across The Atlantic - Release Date: May 2020 History 3
soleil T-23 Ship Systems Controls Simulator Trainer - Vacancy - Gosport - Closing Date 07 Feb 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
MoD_RSS Date set for UK-wide summit in Glasgow on tackling drug misuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A letter from Sajid Javid to Lord Forsyth on the launch date of the upcoming joint consultation on the Retail Prices Index MoD News 0
M Just done PRNC and have joining date, but have doubts too Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Queen's Speech date MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A14 bypass opening date revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Budget 2019 date announced MoD News 0
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Start date at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
S Raleigh start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Save the date - Government Chemist Conference 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Start date announced for extended court hours pilots MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Exmouth tidal defence scheme exhibition - save the date MoD News 0
D Up to date Warfare Officer Training Pipeline Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS News story: Hold the date for the NDA Supply Chain Event at a new venue in 2020 MoD News 0
Gor9819 PRNC Date/Start Date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Still waiting for start date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B Royal Navy start date Naval airman 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 2
Ghost29 How long is wait after security clearance granted before i get a entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS News story: Spring Statement 2019 date confirmed MoD News 0
R Start date for Raleigh June 30th 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS News story: Date announced for Red Arrows American tour MoD News 0
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
J HMS Raleigh joining date 10th feb 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
C EHIC card out of date for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Press release: Senior Traffic Commissioner reminds transport managers and operators that they need to keep up to date MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Local government finance settlement date confirmed in government response to Hudson review MoD News 0
N If my start date for raleigh is in January when am i likely to receive a date for my PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S No PRNC date Joining the Royal Navy 7
M How long after face to face medical do you get your Fitness test date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R Getting an entry date moved? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9