Date of introduction of wooly pullys and no.8s?

Woolley pulleys came in back end 74 until then it was Sea Jerseys under your 8s shirt, they itched like f**k.

Berets came in at the same time

I reckon 74 is about right. I recall discussion about whether there should be pen-pockets. And half-serious suggestions that officers might need to carry handbags.....

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ye
Woolley pulleys came in back end 74 until then it was Sea Jerseys under your 8s shirt, they itched like f**k.

Berets came in at the same time
Yep I joined 1981 & we were issued both. As it was winter, we wore a sea jersey under the number 2 jacket. Also issued gas capes (oilskin) for the duration of phase one training.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
1951.... issued with sea jersey and white fronts. It was February so had to wear the itchy sea-jersey. 2 caps, one black one white (the white one had to be blancoed, messy when worn in the rain.) The black one could be brushed into a pattern. One oilskin, and One Overcoat. Loved my overcoat. It was warm in the winter.

Agree with Topstop, I was on the Bulwark when woolley pulleys and berets came in, think I got mine in 1975. If memory serves officers got them first, SR's a couple of months later and us da I still scratch when thinking about those seamans jerseys in winter square rig or under the 8's shirt!!

Seadog

War Hero
I fear my pedantry was wasted. Lesson identified.

I've worn a seaman's jersey, the one I was issued with. It was always mine, I didn't share it. It outlasted that daft canvas suitcase.

Those who whine about how itchy the jersey was may not have applied the simple expedient of wearing something less abrasive underneath. The options were legion.

What is it Royal says: any fool can be uncomfortable. ?

I fear my pedantry was wasted. Lesson identified.

I've worn a seaman's jersey, the one I was issued with. It was always mine, I didn't share it. It outlasted that daft canvas suitcase.

Those who whine about how itchy the jersey was may not have applied the simple expedient of wearing something less abrasive underneath. The options were legion.

What is it Royal says: any fool can be uncomfortable. ?
I got the comment SD, but if you wore anything underneath them at Ganges, that was worth at least 2 orbits of the parade ground.

If nowadays you have numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 dress; and numbers 4s used to be number 8s, what were number 7s and 6s and what happened to them?
6's were white suit with medals, 7's were white suit negative medals, 7A's were white front and white trousers, 10's were white front, white shorts and black long socks. 10A's were 8's shirt, blue shorts, long black socks or sandals negative socks, 9's were overalls (or extra work if you were a naughty boy ;) )

Taken from BR1938, Naval Ratings Handbook, which, being a saddo, I still have :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Miscellaneous 0
B Current Affairs 10
M The Fleet 17