Date of introduction of wooly pullys and no.8s?

Discussion in 'History' started by Skipperino, Oct 31, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any idea what year(s) wooly pullys were first issued?

Also, what year were no. 8s (today's 4AWD) introduced?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Pure guess - 1950s 8's, 60's woolly-pully, to get the ball rolling.
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I think No 8s may have come in about 1944. Pullys about 1970.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. We were issued with a sea jersey when I joined in Oct 74 and picked up our Wooley Pulleys when we got to Part 2 in the Feb of 75.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Woolley pulleys came in back end 74 until then it was Sea Jerseys under your 8s shirt, they itched like f**k.

Berets came in at the same time
  6. Charles in 76.
  7. I reckon 74 is about right. I recall discussion about whether there should be pen-pockets. And half-serious suggestions that officers might need to carry handbags.....
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep I joined 1981 & we were issued both. As it was winter, we wore a sea jersey under the number 2 jacket. Also issued gas capes (oilskin) for the duration of phase one training.
  9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

1951.... issued with sea jersey and white fronts. It was February so had to wear the itchy sea-jersey. 2 caps, one black one white (the white one had to be blancoed, messy when worn in the rain.) The black one could be brushed into a pattern. One oilskin, and One Overcoat. Loved my overcoat. It was warm in the winter.
  10. Agree with Topstop, I was on the Bulwark when woolley pulleys and berets came in, think I got mine in 1975. If memory serves officers got them first, SR's a couple of months later and us da I still scratch when thinking about those seamans jerseys in winter square rig or under the 8's shirt!!
  11. I still have my itchy seamans jersey in the wardrobe o_O
  12. Same here, I've had it since 1973 :eek:
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

You can't both have it.
  14. They're indestructible and passed around the fleet, you've obviously never had the (dis)pleasure of having to wear one ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I fear my pedantry was wasted. Lesson identified.

I've worn a seaman's jersey, the one I was issued with. It was always mine, I didn't share it. It outlasted that daft canvas suitcase.

Those who whine about how itchy the jersey was may not have applied the simple expedient of wearing something less abrasive underneath. The options were legion.

What is it Royal says: any fool can be uncomfortable. ?
  16. Mmm, itchy or sweating your tits off, which is the most uncomfortable?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Still have my green suitcase with the leather corners.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. If nowadays you have numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 dress; and numbers 4s used to be number 8s, what were number 7s and 6s and what happened to them?
  19. I got the comment SD, but if you wore anything underneath them at Ganges, that was worth at least 2 orbits of the parade ground.
  20. 6's were white suit with medals, 7's were white suit negative medals, 7A's were white front and white trousers, 10's were white front, white shorts and black long socks. 10A's were 8's shirt, blue shorts, long black socks or sandals negative socks, 9's were overalls (or extra work if you were a naughty boy ;) )

Taken from BR1938, Naval Ratings Handbook, which, being a saddo, I still have :)
    • Like Like x 3