Das Boot sunk

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by phil1972, Feb 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The book is superb too. I think that the original 6 hour film/mini series does far more justice than the condensed film.
  2. A sad day - Seadog will be unhappy - it's his avatar (not that he's aware of were he got it from! apparantly he's a Pig Iron Polisher - OK I know we need then but that doesn't mean you have to like them!) Actually he's not bad and may get better soon (when he puts away his wheel key)

I suppose I'm now in the poo for slagging - so be it!
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

From another site

Its not widely known Bucheim wrote a sequel in which 'herr Kaleunt' was resurrected. Unlike DB it was never translated into English (to the best of my knowledge) which is weird. Would have been a big moneyspinner.

PS Take a look at the creepy film 'Below' this tuesday. Set on an American submarine but with a British cast. Its a good story - with a few historical liberties taken. What it loses in authenticity it gains in atmosphere. Much better than 'Ghost Boat'
  4. I believe that 'Das Boot' should be an instructional film for all modern bubbleheads so they can see how it should be done/was done! You could nearly smell the diesel (Oh sorry, that was me shirt, living on a boat at the time - not I might add an unterseeboot - smelt more like a seaboot!)

5. Agree with you there 100% mate , could practicly smell the atmosphere ,
  6. Crabs in his tache....classic.

U96, the pennant number of the boat is the name of a German band who do a nice rendition of the theme and other tunes with underwater noises, fish being released etc, available on Amazon.