Dartmouth Married Quarters

Discussion in 'History' started by Bids88, Aug 12, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

My husband has been allocated a two year shore draft at Dartmouth next year. The plan is for myself and our two children to move to be in Dartmouth with him - are there married quarters in Dartmouth? What are they like? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. There are, but I've never lived there so can't give a first-hand account of what they're like. I do know people that have though and they've had no issues. Dartmouth is a great place to live.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for your reply. I've visited a few times during his basic training and passing out parade and it is a rather beautkful place! We currently live in a busy city, so will be a very big change! Do you know where abouts the accommodation is?

4. Right outside the college gate.

5. Wow! Excellent!

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Not all of them. On-site there are some by the main gate and some just up the hill (in camp)

There are two other patches on the edge of town.

7. We lived on the patch at the top of the hill and it was was pretty standard. There were only 10 or so houses there, plus 10 or so at the bottom of the hill next to the main gate so a lovely little community. I would avoid the ones out of town; they weren't of the same standard and a lot more isolated. Down side was commuting for Mr Sparerib (to Plymouth every day), and can sometimes feel a bit isolated if you're used to town/city life. We moved from London - that was a shock! But Dartmouth is lovely - enjoy

8. Yes I'm quite looking forward to the change! My husband will be working at the college so hopefully get accommodation nearby and we actually manage to have a bit of family time! The commuting he's doing at the moment means he is only actually home for a day every other weekend or so! Biggest shock will be actually seeing him in person so often!

Thanks for all the replies, has put me at ease a bit and fingers crossed we find out more information and it all falls in to place soon!

9. My wife always said getting used to me at home all the time, was just as bad as saying good by when I was of for a long trip

10. Haha! I'm sure that will be the case! After post deployment leave and then summer leave we were ready to ship him off again!