Darfur

Well yes and no, yes at last but no why has it taken so long. This has been going on for years and very little has been achieved so far.

canuk123, grudgingly, I must agree with you. I may be misreading it but it does look as if the lessons taught in the Balkans have been reflected in the RoE.

http://kutv.com/worldwire/UN-Sudan-Darfur/resources_news_html
The resolution has one section under Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter, which deals with threats to peace and security and can be militarily enforced.

It authorizes UNAMID to use force to protect and ensure freedom of movement for its own personnel and humanitarian workers, prevent armed attacks and protect civilians in order to support implementation of the Darfur Peace Agreement.

Guehenno said the big difference in the hybrid force will be its size and mobility because it will have military transport helicopters and combat helicopters

I am reminded, though, of a question posed by my ex Infantry pal who served in Rhodesia preparing for the handover; what's the difference between your average native African and a piece of toast?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
canuck123 said:
It wont be another Rwanda thats for sure. My country wont participate though were to tied up with Afghanistan.
Canuck, totally understand, as I have recently finished Lieutenant General Roméo Dallaire's horrifying account of his horrific and frustrating UN humanitarian mission to Rwanda in 1994. Anyone who wants to understand how military operations overseen by political influence often do not work should read it and, if possible, watch the acompanying BBC 'Storyville' documentary, which took Dallaire back to Rwanda's 'killing fields'.

"Shake Hands With The Devil" Film

toycommandos

Lantern Swinger
sgtpepperband said:
agrippa said:
sgtpepperband said:
canuck123 said:
Do you think Royal Marines will be sent?
At least two... one to kick some ass while his oppo gets the brew on! :lol:
Brew? or Wet? You decide!! or is this a new debate?
^_^;
Maybe we should have a mass debate about it... :roll:
It will always be a wet!!!!!!!!

We are all tied up with Afghan and the factory cant increase its output anymore than it is already. They will have to send the Paras instead!

sgtpepperband said:
canuck123 said:
It wont be another Rwanda thats for sure. My country wont participate though were to tied up with Afghanistan.
Canuck, totally understand, as I have recently finished Lieutenant General Roméo Dallaire's horrifying account of his horrific and frustrating UN humanitarian mission to Rwanda in 1994. Anyone who wants to understand how military operations overseen by political influence often do not work should read it and, if possible, watch the acompanying BBC 'Storyville' documentary, which took Dallaire back to Rwanda's 'killing fields'.

"Shake Hands With The Devil" Film
Over here the movie Shake hands with the devil, just came out. Is it over there?

canuck123 said:
Over here the movie Shake hands with the devil, just came out. Is it over there?
I heard a review of it a few nights ago on the radio, although it was in conjunction with discussion about the film built around the Daniel Pearl abduction.

Latest Threads