Damp inside the windows and windscreen

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Rachelthree, Nov 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I reckon some of you are probably good with cars and all that, I have googled but I thought someone here might know before I head to a garage and spend a million quid!

I get damp inside of the windows of my car; especially the windscreen which is problematic when you cannot clear it from the inside or the outside as it still leaves a smeary residue! I have made sure the vent dial is set to 'closed', all of the windows are fully closed and no visible flaws etc in the seals, checked the boot for any small gaps leading to the outside world, and even tried a silica dehumidifier in there. Do all the usual stuff required when driving in this weather but this is beyond the 'normal' condensation and frost scenario- its almost as if there are smears and droplets between the glass :( the car doesn't smell damp and except the window nothing feels damp, did the front mat check and nada- just the windows.

Any ideas what it might be? Or what might help? Have to spend ages preparing my car before going anywhere and never had it before recently. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated, anyone I have asked in real life has been stumped, one of those things someone may have come across before though.

Pre-emptive thanks :D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It was going really well until you said "So...."

You get damp??

Or is there moisture in your car?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

• Like Like x 4
  3. It's damp to the touch on the inside of the windows but not on the interiors or floor or anything, it also doesn't 'wipe off' in that it still leaves a foggy residue that cannot be cleared from the inside or the outside. I don't know much about cars anyway, but asking some others to have a look they are clueless too.

I will eradicate my 'so' for you, not sure why I sneak them in sometimes- both written text and annoyingly normal speech :(

4. Euphemism?

5. Ladies get 'moist', cars, clothes and furniture get 'damp' :p if that were the case though probably for the best I have foggy windows!

• Like Like x 2
  6. It's why I asked!

Try putting fans on and open windows slightly to remove moisture. Like an air brick in a house. Otherwise the moisture has no where to go. Might take a day or twos driving around.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There has to be something wet in your car.

It happened to my Ford Focus after I put a roof-rack on - it's one of those that bolts onto the roof & the sealant in the bolt hole has to be removed, which leads to a damp roof lining. Other likely "leak points" are the bottom seal of the front and rear screen. Anything damp in the boot will also cause condensation in the car.

You can get "moisture absorbers" but guess what? Yep a plain old cup or open tub of table salt will do the same job for a fraction of the cost.

8. Thanks Ninja, I currently have some classy wardrobe dehumidifiers which were a quid and look awful- I will definitely give a cup of salt a go!

Cheers as well Frogs, been driving with the window down even though its a bit embrassing due to my driving playlist :p I will do that for a few days and see if it helps.

9. exJenny

Get a chamois leather/sponge to wipe up the excess moisture.

10. Is there any strenuous physical exertion taking place within your car?

11. Fastest way of demisting car windows is to stick the air conditioning on coldest setting.
    In this weather you may find your bollocks drop off but that shouldn't worry R3:clap:

• Like Like x 1
  12. You could get our two recent contenders for COTW, who should need no introduction, to lick it for you..(The window, that is) Alternatively the salt or baking soda.

13. To get shot of the smears on the inside of the windscreen, get a sheets of newspaper scrunch it up into a ball and give the screen a good wipe when it is practically dry, if that does not work, warm soapy water wash and dry off with scrunched up newspaper

14. Silica gel crystals in a packet , at the side of the window will reduce the damp, but as you know, you will need a new windscreen rubber and sealant in the end.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  15. Do you ever cart around a dog (canine variety) in the car?

16. I always carry an old Rover Srs 3 wiper blade around. It makes a brilliant squeegee and hardly any smeers.

17. wal

wal Badgeman

Vauxhalls are prone to getting wet on the inside both SWMBO's Astra and my pikey Vectra suffer baddly. from this affliction.

18. Thanks for the suggestions :) I will try newspaper and get hold of a better chamois and squeegee thing. I have cheapo silica things to collect moisture but will try salt and baking soda. Unfortunately no physical exertion lately finks, and on a seperate note no canine companion has been in it. Funny you should mention Vauxhalls having this as a common problem, guess what make my car is...?

19. exJenny

Citroen?

http://m.thisiscornwall.co.uk/story.html?aid=11485058

20. Haha, thankfully it isn't that damp inside yet!