Damn Ruskies!!

Discussion in 'International' started by sexbody, Aug 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/08/10/port-north.html

At least the Prime Minister is stepping up to the plate on this issue. Apparently Denmark and the US are already on their way to the Arctic,so where is all this going? I am only a civilian and therefore only privy to what I read in the media but seems a little disconcerting to me.
  2. They won't be satisfied until the area is covered in oil slicks and all the wildlife is wiped out.
  3. They already have a monopoly on the gas reserves in Europe and now want the oil.
    All this is just an extention of the cold war. What they couldn't do with communism and submarines they are now trying to do by economics.

If we let this happen they will be able to hold half the world to ransom, and we will have two options, pay the ransom or fight.
  4. Deleted
  5. Hate to pisss on your parade but the Canadian build up has more to do with controlling their idiot neighbours to the south than confronting any Russian threat.

If the Septics cannot get cheap oil by robbing the Iraqi's then they are going to look elsewhere.

Great quote from the Canadian Prime Minister -

“The United States defends its sovereignty; the Canadian government will defend our sovereignty,†Harper said. “It is the Canadian people that we get our mandate from, not the ambassador of the United States.â€

The single most important duty of the federal government is to protect and defend our national sovereignty,†said Harper, Prime Minister Paul Martin’s main challenger in the Jan. 23 election.
    “There are new and disturbing reports of American nuclear submarines passing though Canadian waters without obtaining the permission of — or even notifying — the Canadian government.â€

So this could be a future event then???

In an attempt to raise his ratings in popularity polls, the president of the U.S. (played by Alan Alda) fabricates a cold war with Canada. Why Canada? Because Russia won't play anymore. As the Russian President says: "We already gave up! You won! We are too busy trying to perfect universal indoor plumbing!" Canada, then, is the next best thing to a real enemy.

The anti-Canadian commercials, in particular, are quite funny.

"Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray -- all day, every day. The Canadians. They walk among us. William Shatner. Michael J. Fox. Monty Hall. Mike Meyers. Alex Trebek. All of them Canadians. All of them here."

Unfortunately, there are a few Americans who get so caught up in the hysteria that they take matters into their own hands. Bud Boomer (John Candy) leads a commando party to the other side of the border to litter in a public park. In a scene lifted from Monty Python's Life of Brian, two mounties catch the group and then argue over the grammar of their commands to cease and desist.

The group escapes, leaving behind one of their number, named Honey (Rhea Perlman). When the President catches wind of the fact that Honey is being held by the Canadian government, he issues an ultimatum: "Surrender her pronto, or we'll level Toronto." Meanwhile, the military tycoon whose plant was shut down when the cold war with Russia ended has plans to make a bundle by framing Canada as real bad guys.
  7. Errrrm.....Except that the Russians have no gas reserves in Europe. Zilch. They have gas reserves in Russia which they sell to Europe. The price of energy is high and the Russians are being paid a premium for their goods. It's called supply and demand.

8. Exactly. Let's just hope we don't develop an strategically problematic reliance on Russian energy sources.
  9. I try to explain it as simply as I can to the Septics with no big words.

1. Energy [oil and gas] is traded in US$

2. The US$ is not worth what it was [I try not to go into the reasons for this because their eyes start to glaze]

3. The energy sellers want more $ just to maintain parity.

4. Main cause of energy cost increases is a weak trading currency.

5. This has a disproportionate effect on the USA.

10. Lets send a SSN with an ROV (if that is possible!) to nick the Russian flag planted on the sea bed! Now that would be a good gizzit!
  11. Actually, speaking as a professional "I know my PM better then you do" this is all PR, all Harper is concerned about is his popularity, he is cut from the same cloth as Blair.

We were tromped on when the Manhattan made it's historical debut in the North and we did nothing about it.

Reason being is we didn't want to piss off our ticket, the Cold War was at it's height and with little or no facilities in the North we relied on NORAD and the Dew Point, mostly with the help of the US, so saving our nickles we allowed ourselves to be stepped on when it comes to "our sovereignty" in the North.

I served for 6 Mths at CFS Alert, and there is a garbage dump up there called the Millionaires dump, it is filled with all of the vehicles the Americans left behind when they pulled out, see they offered them to us for a good return, but our weasel politicians bet on the fact that the US couldn't take this stuff back with them, too expensive so they would leave em to us....wroooong, they built a huge pit and buried everything...

The point is and I am ashamed of this fact is we relied on the Americans too much during the 60's 70' and 80's, only now are we sort of asserting ourselves and shrugging off the cousin down South.

But as I said about this recent bout with sovereignty, it's a PR photo op for Harper, we can barely put what ships we have to sea now, because of a severe lack of manpower, employment in Canada is good right now, so a lot of young adults are basically telling the recruiters to jam it...

So I will not be holding my breath on this one... :hockey:
  12. Ah!!!! That explains why when I jumped in Canada at Cagetown and Calgary I rode out to the US C-130 on a US deuce and a half wearing an American T10 parachute and a US made reserve and was dispatched by a member of the US airborne [and why we were warned off certain Canadian training areas because of the US Agent Orange which had been tested there by the US. ]

Gotcha :thumright:

13. They also have sole rights to the Asian gas fields and that give them the power to control the price as shown in the surrounding countries whome they have just blackmailed (by switching of the supply) into a 400% increas in gas prices.

They are also attempting to get BP out and take over their refineries. Gasprom by one name, KGB by another.

They are also the biggest extractor of gas in the world.

By the end of 2004 Gazprom was the sole gas supplier to at least Bosnia-Herzegovina, Estonia, Finland, Macedonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova and Slovakia, and provided 97 percent of Bulgaria's gas, 89 percent of Hungary's, 86 percent of Poland's, nearly three-quarters of the Czech Republic's, 67 percent of Turkey's, 65 percent of Austria's, about 40 percent of Romania's, 36 percent of Germany's, 27 percent of Italy's, and 25 percent of France's. The European Union gets about 25% of its gas supplies from this company
  14. It all began when PET(Pierre Elliot Trudeau, may he rot in hell, him and Hellyer) sold us a song and amalgamated the forces into the CAF, all this was a cost saving measure, took the budgets away from the 3 services and centralized it, thus starting the pissing contests between the Navy/Airforce and Army.

And during this time we relied heavily on the US to handle most of the patrols in the North and along the Atlantic seaboard and the Pacific Rim.

As for the deuce and a halfs, we held onto these long after the Americans stopped making spares, so everything had to be retooled (expensive eh!).

Our military procurement is abysmal, we sent out troops to Afghanistan with the iltis jeep what a pile of crap that thing is.

And I know Bergen your saying that with tongue in cheek, but you are dead on, it's definitely nothing to be proud of, with the exception of those that served and those who still serve, our professionalism is second to none..equipment is only equipment, it's the operators who matter..CanDo...
  15. SSE - Very seriously....with no tongue in cheek:-

The Canadian armed forces share one basic similarity with British armed forces. They are both far too good for the politicians who serially mis-use them.