Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dame Agnes Weston

hobbit

War Hero
Dame Agnes Weston , known to the ' fleet ' as Aggie , earned her place in naval history in many ways when she started her group of RSR s where many cold and hungry matelots found shelter , warmth and food . An angel of the waves Dame Agnes provided a need for Jack even when pissed where he was safe . I remember ' Aggies ' at the top of the hill in Guzz and the alarm clock by ' Garth ' clanging a hand held bell to ' call the hands ' so they could have brekky and not be ' adrift ' ( circa 1950s) . Sadly I hear ' Aggies ' is no longer with us , another naval institution gone . I just discovered this when browsing and was not aware of the closure so if it's been posted before that's the reason . There should be some form of recognition for such a dedicated woman unless there already is . Anyway , worth a mention for those who experienced her hospitality.

http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheets_agnus_weston.htm

RoofRat

War Hero
Hobbit, its funny how we remember places isn't it? I always remember Aggies in Guz as being "down the Hill", that is on the way back to the ship to go through St. Levans gate.
Stayed there many a time during the 60's and 70's.
I could never get my head around the soup, bread and "maggy ann"(margarine). Different colour, same taste:)
Good thread mate.
RoofRat

lsadirty

War Hero
Aggies in Albert Road in Guzz is now "executive flats". Good views from the higher floors, but on one of the main roads leading to Torpoint Ferry, the Yard and town - 24 hour road traffic.

Polycell

War Hero
Pompey early sixties:
Ashore dinner time sesh end up in the NAAFI. Head down in the tele room till about 5 down to Aggies for sausage egg chips mushrooms beans cup of tea bread and butter. Replenished, across the road to the RA and........
Off we go again!!!!
Not you JD you were to busy rogering some bird in Nuneaton!!!!

stirling2

Banned
The one in Sembawang on the hill near the main dockyard gate was good for scran after an afternoon of bombing in the pool. :thumright:

Always_a_Civvy said:
A sorry day for teetotalers then. I thought Aggies were still going :oops: I am in the proud possession of a book by Aggie, signed by her :)

Is the book called 'My life among the blue jackets'. If so I've got one too and it is signed as well.

PINCH

War Hero
theGimpMK2 said:
http://www.latitude52.org/page7.htm

I am sure that Dame Aggie would be pleased to know that some of her cabins have now been knocked together and going fopr 250,000.

ALBERT ROAD kinel. Bandit country :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :threaten: :threaten: :threaten:

Used to use the Portsmouth Aggies on Sundays --the free tea and cakes!!

Used the Trafalgar Club a few doors down quite a bit ---was good for changing into civvies when it used to be uniform only worn ashore.

:nemo: :nemo:

PINCH

War Hero
Greenie said:
Used to use the Portsmouth Aggies on Sundays --the free tea and cakes!!

Used the Trafalgar Club a few doors down quite a bit ---was good for changing into civvies when it used to be uniform only worn ashore.

:nemo: :nemo:

Remember the Massive wall picture of Latrec's boat on the water, and the steak and kidney pie, pees chips and gravy, ahhhhhhhhhhhh! remember the Traf club well. Cabins with chiken wire at the top

At least Aggies has changed a bit; bound to happen really given that it is a prime bit of real estate, pity though.
The Holiday Inn up the road is still very much stuck in the 80's. It took me back a bit quite literally!

Harry1

Lantern Swinger
Didn't realise that Aggies, as an institution, had finished. They always looked after me well. Stayed in the Aggies in Albert Road many times during my time on the Salisbury and had a weeks station leave using the Aggies in Singapore Dockyard as my base. The food was usually good and the rooms clean. I suppose time marches on and there probably isn't the need for them now. Must admit though I have fond memories of them and the people that ran them.

hobbit

War Hero
Yes RR it is strange how the memory works after a longish time . My contact with Aggies in Guzz wuzz the fabulous '50s when Plymouth had not fully recovered from WW2 , in fact nutty was still rationed . Still ' up the hill ' in my memory but what goes up must come down . Yeah , the flash new NAAFI was opened by then and that got a lot of traffic , good times though . :thumright:

RoofRat said:
Hobbit, its funny how we remember places isn't it? I always remember Aggies in Guz as being "down the Hill", that is on the way back to the ship to go through St. Levans gate.
Stayed there many a time during the 60's and 70's.
I could never get my head around the soup, bread and "maggy ann"(margarine). Different colour, same taste:)
Good thread mate.
RoofRat

hobbit

War Hero
Good one thanks Maxi_77 . There is nothing like the 'Dame' and her spirit lives on . Sadly , as you point out , not in the sense we knew . Still , great to know her work continues and not forgotten .

Maxi_77 said:
It would seem that whilst Aggies has gone away in the sense we knew, but they are reborn in a new guise for the 21st C http://www.rsr.org.uk/

PINCH

War Hero
hobbit said:
Good one thanks Maxi_77 . There is nothing like the 'Dame' and her spirit lives on . Sadly , as you point out , not in the sense we knew . Still , great to know her work continues and not forgotten .

Maxi_77 said:
It would seem that whilst Aggies has gone away in the sense we knew, but they are reborn in a new guise for the 21st C http://www.rsr.org.uk/

Concur folks glad to see that aggies still goes marching on!

lsadirty

War Hero
Remember reading somewhere that when the sloop HMS WESTON-SUPER MARE was built i the 30s, Jack promptly christened her "Aggie on horseback". She was later renamed HMS WESTON. Eventually scrapped in 1947.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Dame Glenys Stacey appointed as chair of the Office for Environmental Protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has reappointed Dame Jayne-Anne Gadhia as Trustee of the Tate. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Rachel de Souza confirmed as new Children’s Commissioner MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from Dame Glenys Stacey to AoC, Sixth Form Colleges’ Association, HOLEX, AELP, the Exams Office and ASCL MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Glenys Stacey selected as preferred Chair for Office for Environmental Protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Glenys Stacey: speech to AOC's FE Summit, 18 November 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Dame Judith Macgregor as Trustee of the British Tourist Authority. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has reappointed Dame Minouche Shafik and Muriel Gray as Trustees of the British Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Barbara Woodward appointed UK Permanent Representative to the UN in New York MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Robert Noel and Professor Dame Janet Thornton as Trustees of the Natural History Museum. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces lead tributes to Dame Vera Lynn at her funeral MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Louise Casey's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 31 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Louise Casey calls on community partners to help with COVID-19 rough sleeping crisis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Ottoline Leyser appointed new CEO of UK Research And Innovation (UKRI) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from Dame Martina Milburn to the Prime Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Louise Casey to spearhead government taskforce on rough sleeping during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Louise Casey writes to Local Authority homelessness managers and rough sleeping coordinators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Judith Hackitt named as government adviser on the new Building Safety Regulator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dame Mary Ney appointed to conduct college financial monitoring review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dame Vera Baird appointed as new Victims’ Commissioner MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Notre Dame was a tragedy, but in too many parts of the world it's the Christian congregation that perishes: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK offers solidarity and support after Notre-Dame fire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dame Fiona Caldicott appointed as the first statutory National Data Guardian for Health and Social Care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Professor Dame Carol Black announced as independent reviewer of drugs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Professor Dame Sally Davies to step down as Chief Medical Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Master of Trinity College, Cambridge: Professor Dame Sally Davies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dame Colette Bowe and Dame Jayne-Anne Gadhia appointed to the Financial Policy Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dame Glenys Stacey review proposes farm regulation shake-up MoD News 0
F Dame Vera Lynn for Eurovision. The Gash Barge 17
Chaz Dame Elizabeth Taylor dies. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
MoD_RSS Weston-Super-Mare woman convicted of making a fraudulent claim MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Weston-Super-Mare restaurateur banned from managing companies MoD News 0
soleil FB: Aggie Weston's - Pastoral Support To RFA HQ Following Grant From Trinity House RFA 2
MoD_RSS Guy Weston appointed as Business Trustee of the Imperial War Museum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sergeant Barry Weston killed in Afghanistan Current Affairs 0
C hot Bootneck action on Weston beach! The Corps 8