Daley Tweet

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by LujonSA, Jul 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Tom Daley Twitter abuse: Boy arrested in Weymouth

It was probably distasteful, it was certainly unpleasant and inappropriate but was it worthy of an arrest? If everything distasteful, unpleasant and inappropriate posted on this site were scrutinized we would all be banged up. A bit over the top IMO.

Why this forum? Well the Olympic games is made up of competitions isn't it?

2. Keep my last news item quiet then FFS.........please?

3. I dont think it was the initial tweet it was subsequent ones where he threatened violence.

4. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I moved this to a more appropriate Forum.

5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I think he got in to trouble for threatening to drown Mr Daley.

6. Must admit I'm stuck in the middle with this.

By all accounts the messages started off as extremely offensive and progressed to threats of physical harm which, I believe, is illegal. As LujonSA says though, many of us are guilty of what could be construed as offensive and, when we think about it, potentially upsetting comments to other individuals. I know I am and think maybe I've had an epiphany here.

As facebook and this twitter thing are relatively new forms of communication this new type of abuse confuses me - banter or bullying? I would imagine that if I were a victim of serious abuse I'd be pretty thick skinned as, no doubt, would most on here, but that doesn't make it acceptable for such abuse to be inflicted wantonly.

A tough one, but I would think it needs looking at by, err, someone.

Someone clever.

Not a politician.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. I think there's a difference between banter and what's happened here. Banter normally occurs between people who know each other or of similar backgrounds and done with a smile, this was abuse from a total stranger, a bit like an electronic poison pen letter and well out of order IMHO.

9. I think this is a poignant reminder to you lot- play nice on the internets. Don't say I didn't warn you.

10. Well they don't come any "stranger" than you.
    So be nice to me or I'll have you lifted.
    And stop being abusive you underwater dwelling web toed janner wanking fuckin old miserable bastard.
    Or one day I will be rude to you.

11. Me and wrecker doing the "entertainment" at the RR meet.
    Free - YouTube

12. Re-read what Cúnt posted, you piss-stained old fart.

13. There's no telling some niggers.

• Like Like x 1