Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Backpacker1uk, May 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Your last chance to fly in the Old Lady. Last chance to hear those Pratt and Whitney's roar into life From Inside.

For the Cherry Heads relive the days of Arnhem!

I took a trip in the old girl at the Battle of the Atlantic celebrations in Liverpool a few years back when we had boats. Flying over Liverpool and Birkenhead. The turbulence was excellent.

European legislation states

Fitting oxygen masks to an aircraft that never flies high enough to use them, or equipping it with chutes to deliver passengers to the ground four feet below the exit door would be prohibitively expensive - even if the items were available. And these are just an example.

Sadly, from July 15th, we have to withdraw the Daks from passenger flying

2. I thought Virgin Atlantic still fly nostalgic trips on them backpacker
  3. I thought Air Atlantique was the only outfit flying the Dak
  4. My wife and me are booked for a flight in the old girl from Exeter in July. Just checking the insurance small print now!
  5. sitting outside today in a pub in Hixon/ Staffs one lovely C47 flew overhead at 1000 ft in army livery / beautifull sound :thumright:
  6. Heard and then saw the BoB Dakota flying overhead at about 1200hrs today at home (Lincoln) sounded and looked godd - but not as good a sound as a Merlin(s).
  7. Some years ago I went for a flight in a DC3 operated by Rebel Air at Sydney airport. Bloody excellent! Flying low and slow over the city, and visiting the cockpit to see the pilots with the windows open and arms resting on the window ledge is an experience you won't see again.

They had not long been retired from service either. The RAAF were still operating a few until the early 80s.
  8. I prefer the Griffon on the old Shack myself. Especially in a dive.