Daily Record: "Gary Barlow Makes Secret Visit To See Our Troops In Afghanistan"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Oct 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gary-Barlow-holds-up-a-message-to-one-of-the-soldiers-daughters-during-his-trip-to-Afghanistan-2.jpg

In pictures: Take That star Gary Barlow makes secret visit to see our troops in Afghanistan - Daily Record

Gary took to the stage on Tuesday to put on a concert for the guys, but, sadly, after performing just two songs, his audience was ordered back to the tents after an alarm was raised.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence said, "A performance by Gary Barlow was cut short for operational reasons."

Fortunately, Gary was able to complete his show and it will be shown on TV closer to Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

He was in JFC the week before, very odd meeting him there, he's tiny and came across very well. He was very good natured, spent a lot of time being grabbed and photographed in the foyer.

3. I'm fairly sure that if it were me, after 5 months in Afghanistan I would see an impromptu gig by Gary Barlow as worse than another night watching the wilderness for approaching Taliban!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gary took to the stage on Tuesday to put on a concert for the guys, but, sadly, after performing just two songs, his audience was ordered back to the tents after an alarm was raised.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence said, "A performance by Gary Barlow was cut short for operational reasons."

Operational reasons being he is shit and morale took a beating when the lads realised a pair of tits on legs wasn't turning up.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. SWS, as I said in another thread - did you just come off a really bad patrol?

I watched this last night (the other choice was Pride and Predjudice) and thought it was very good. You may have watched a different version to the one I saw.

Morale took a beating - yes, the hundreds in the audience looked grim - looked like none of them wanted to e there.

He is a shit? What makes you say that? He came acros as very self effacing, 'not look at me' as some apparently do.

Bet the TA bloke he gave the guitar to thought he as a shit too.

So get your Grinch suit on and clamber back into your box until Jan 6th.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Surely the username SWS fag, gives away his bitterness to his fellow man!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. The programme is being repeated on ITV this afternoon at 14:45.

8. See? Even the Torygraph agrees with me!!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I guess there's a mutually beneficial trade-off whenever a celebrity visits the Armed Forces & six posts on the same subject by Soleil indicates she probably approves, one imagines.

For a fleeting moment many of us were fans of Jim Davidson when he visited the Falklands, post conflict and gave a series of shows on more than one occasion. Since then, many have since revised their view of him but he was "of the time" and certainly reflected the psyche of the British serviceman in the 1980' s. In those days bizarrely, racism, sexism & bigotry were found to be amusing and the entertainment industry reflected it. Nowadays it's celebrity focussed (X Factor, talent shows, etc) but at least it's not offensive.

Personally, I'd rather be visited by Gary Barlow than a smarmy politician whose foreign policy was a complete crock.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Probably a little but I doubt he needs the exposure, X-factor probably does that in spades, and the programme wouldn't have raised that much attention. Overall I suspect he did it for the right reasons - he was consistent in why he said in Northwood to what was said on camera and if the troops there enjoyed it and he got something out of it too that seems fair enough to me.

Rather that than some Z lister from Big Brother or Made in Essex. Swings and roundabout.

You back in the R2?

• Like Like x 1
  11. To be fair to Davidson, he did support the Armed Forces through a time when it was unfashionable to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Immediately post Falklands conflict the Armed Forces had huge public support, more so than now, but he was one of very few celebrities prepared to visit us, granted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Personally, I never thought Jim Davidson was much of a singer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

15. Maybe GB is Soleil's secret schoolgirl crush?

• Like Like x 1