Daily Mail: "Pensioner scammed for 56 YEARS that cost her £200,000 and marriage"

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As much as I hate to see vulnerable people being exploited, I find it hard to muster much sympathy for this "victim" [sic] who was looking for a quick and easy way to make money and had clearly never heard the saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is..." :oops:

Daily Mail: "Pensioner scammed for 56 YEARS that cost her £200,000 and marriage"

An elderly woman has revealed that she has handed over £200,000 to fraudsters after half a century of being targeted with letters claiming that she had won a fortune.

Sylvia Kneller, 76, became addicted to answering the scam letters, which demanded that she pay a small amount of money in order to receive the thousands of pounds she was supposedly owed. Among the frauds she was caught up in were claims that she had won the lottery and a letter from a so-called psychic offering to pass on her powers to Mrs Kneller.

The pensioner says that her inability to ignore the fraudulent messages led to the break-up of her marriage and caused her to have a nervous breakdown.

Typically, the letters would tell her that she was eligible for a prize worth thousands of pounds, but first had to hand over a smaller sum such as £20 or £100 as a 'transaction fee'.

Some of the letters have been still more outlandish - one recent example claimed to come from a clairvoyant named 'Madame Soleil' and told Mrs Kneller she could inherit the psychic's mystical abilities.

The victim said she was unable to stop responding to the letters even though they were obviously hoaxes, adding that the fraudsters sent her so many messages that she believed they had a personal relationship.
:shock: I knew Sol was a right dodgy character! Have any of RR's members fallen for her wicked ways? :twisted:

AAF

War Hero
As much as I hate to see vulnerable people being exploited, I find it hard to muster much sympathy for this "victim" [sic] who was looking for a quick and easy way to make money and had clearly never heard the saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is..." :oops:

:shock: I knew Sol was a right dodgy character! Have any of RR's members fallen for her wicked ways? :twisted:
Not yet. :brushteeth:

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Her head is clearly as thick as her waistline. I have more sympathy for her sofa.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)