Daily Mail does it again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wave_dodger, Jul 5, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I think we should start some journalism awards?

My current vote for laziest journalism goes to Glen Owen from that bastion of accuracy the Dail Mail.

Apparently we keep a fleet of cars to use as ad-hoc taxis to hop to social functions!

Lovely, I'll be getting an MT vehicle to breakfast every day from now on. I've clearly been missing a trick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Think yourself lucky this is Rum Ration. You would have been severely spanked for quoting the DM on ARRSE! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. NG since when as the DM allowed the truth to get in the way of a story?

4. Surely we should just have turned it into MP's accommodation. That would have stopped all the rent and "flipping" issues.

Each constituency has its own flat. End of.
    Or am I trying to apply logic to government procurement again?

5. We could 'rent' out the military on an ad-hoc basis - surely sponsoring the RAF to do a little bit of bombing practice on Chipping Norton (or insert location here) shouldn't be too outrageously expensive and save all that fuel flying to Scotland/Wales for their normal practice areas. I think that I could stretch to hiring out the RAF Regiment to guard my allotment, now that the leeks are reading for picking.

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I am told that the golf courses on raf bases often lie under the approach path, meaning you couldnt build on them because a plane may Land on early.

Ultimately if they've been there forever, dont cost anything to run and possibly make a small profit then keep them. If they cant be sold off easily or reused for other purposes (eg defence academy golf course is inside the wire in land that cant be used for other purposes) then what else do you do with them.

As for the fleet of limos on standby, bloody outrageous that we've had this perk for years and i've yet to see it. Time for angry letter to the DM methinks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. So long as you don't rent the Welsh Guards who would be cheaper but would eat all the leeks

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

It was the Secretary of State, Mr Fallon, who started the hare running back in January about the 15 golf courses, while making the case for the MoD selling off more assets. According to a recent parliamentary answer the golf courses and their locations are:

RAF Marham Norfolk
    RAF Coningsby Lincoln
    RAF Lakenheath Suffolk (actually a USAF base)
    RAF Molesworth Huntingdon (actually a USAF facility and due to close)
    Catterick Garrison North Yorkshire
    Abercom Barracks Ballykinler, County Down
    DMRC Headley Court Surrey
    RM Condor Arbroath
    Alanbrooke Barracks North Yorkshire
    Penally Training Camp Golf Course Tenby, Pembrokeshire
    St Athan Golf Club South Glamorgan
    RAF Henlow Golf Course Bedford
    North Luffenham Golf Club Rutland
    Upavon Golf Course Wiltshire
    Shrivenham Golf Club Wiltshire

9. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

And the DM's example of typical use of that fleet is "short-notice journeys such as between an RAF base and a restaurant holding a social function."

Or, presumably, between the RAF base and the golf course?

Naturally this loaded story has been picked up by other media.

10. So...no golf courses for the sailors (as least MoD owned). Why is it that golf courses are predominantly located on RAF bases? It's not unique to UK, even in Canada and many places I've visited in the US the course are mainly located on air force bases. I wonder if the air force gets issued with golf clubs along with their brief cases and laptops :rolleyes:

11. The RAF have got all the flat bits, so it's a no-brainer.

12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I counted two RAF bases that actually have golf courses, two usaf bases (eg no raf) and one former raf base now used by Army - St Athan.

RAF Henlow is a satelite unit that these days has some purple units on it and no operational flying (essentially lodger units and some barracks for RAF WYTON). Other sites are now in hands of Army or RM.

Hardly raf dominated!

As to why this is happening, I understand that essentially some of the RAF bases have golf courses on approach routes for aircraft, and as such the land can't be used for anything residential. They are there to make best use of the land as they can.

In places like Shrivenham the golf course is inside the wire and part of a greenbelt / listed building area, so no ability to build on it, and no ability to do anything with it other than cut the grass. At least golf courses make some money!

• Like Like x 2
  13. I counted three current RAF bases, four if you still count RAF St Athan which is still an RAF unit.

And North Luffenham was an RAF base.

14. HMS Cambridge, HMS Dryad - they've got golf courses... oh, wait... :(

15. Are they counting the golf course at the China Fleet Club in Cornwall?
    This was paid for from the sale of the old China Fleet club in Hong Kong.
    The club was owned by ALL Ratings on the lower deck throughout the RN.
    What I cannot understand is why is it now mainly frequented and run by Officers of the RN:(

16. Would that be the same China Fleet Club where routine training flights just happened to drop people off .........?

17. Culdrose has got one.

It's shit.

18. Raleigh's got 9 hole one, hardly ever used.