Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closure?

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, May 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I couldn't be that lucky.

Think of the loss of the jobs in the dog poo scraping business.

2. 8O It all depends upon which paper you read whilst awaiting the SDR, Sol :wink:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Portsmouth-naval-base-39safe-from.6314385.jp

24 May 2010

Portsmouth's naval base is not under threat from cuts to save billions of pounds, the defence secretary's office has said.
    Liam Fox's staff moved quickly to dispel fears the base would face the axe after reports over the weekend said it was on the new coalition government's £6bn hit list.

3. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

Why mention that, are they attempting to justify the continuance and the spending of £200million just for that. Is it worth keeping open just for an old wooden tea clipper - nah, close the base and give the thing back to Chatham where it belongs.

4. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

It's a feeble attempt at hinting we will lose our naval heritage, national treasures etc etc, plus most of the civilian population have no idea about RN bases or what they do so drop an emotive name from history in and warm up the outrage bus

5. Does Pompey need a naval base as badly as Plymouth?

6. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

Nope, and if you'd done some research rather than your usual shitehawk posting, you'd have known the answer was no.

7. Bit uncalled for Oil Slick.

8. seconded I have found most of soliels postings to be very helpful. She is also very kind and patient with us newbies. I think we could do with more ladies of this calibre in our society, rather than the chavs with five kids by five different men.

9. It does for the new carriers !! :)

10. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

:roll: :roll: Touch of the LOH.. male menapouse, Kicking in Oily???? :wink:

11. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

Soleil - Thank you for continuing to draw our attention to relevant news items we might otherwise miss. I believe you deserve an apology but I won't hold my breath.

12. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

Surely they can't close the biggest navel base in Western Europe. Don't they need the Portsmouth base for the New aircraft carriers? I don't think cuts should be made on our armed forces, at the end of the day we are protecting our country!

13. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

:roll:

www.royalnavy.mod.uk

www.navynews.co.uk

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbo=p&tbs=nws:1&q=royal+navy&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

There ya go, how hard was that and it doesn't spam every bloody forum on RR with hundreds of cut and pastes links that constantly drive any discussion topics off the front page.

14. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Or maybe Soleil posts these news articles to stimulate discussion - like this thread on our Naval Bases.

Besides if you don't like them don't read them.

15. or just click new posts and you will see all the discussion topics as well as everything else. Not rocket science.

16. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

Sorry (well, actually, I'm not), dear Soleil feeds in a lot of useful stuff for us to think about and discuss. Fair enough, some of it duplicates that elswhere but better that than sod all.

This topic loosely ties in with; http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=27265/start=0.html

17. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

Ridiculous statement, you will notice Soleil often doesn't comment first off on the news items she posts. They are clearly there to initiate discussion and keep people informed about what's in the news RN /RM wise.

Slack drills OS..

18. Re: Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closu

The biggest Naval base in Europe is actually Devonport.

And Soleil is very good at pointing us RRs towards relevant news articles and is quite restrained in that she doesn't comment, but lets others decide. You're not going to win this one Oil Slick.