Daily Echo: Flying visit to North Dorset school by pilot dad

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Daily Echo: Flying visit to North Dorset school by pilot

I wonder how long it will take some penny pinching sod to bind about the visit’s cost to the Taxpayer. I don’t recognise any of his costs, though.

Good to see someone trying to win some home hearts and minds. If it gets just one kiddiewink interested in the Navy or aviation in general, it’s a good investment.

2. I do think it is a good thing visits like this happen. I'd rather my tax paying money goes on these things than on sponging buggers but that's my view

3. Re: Daily Echo: Flying visit to North Dorset school by pilot

Used to do school visits quite frequently in days of yor.

They are good for PR and such but it's the senior schools that are the fishing grounds for prospective aviators.

Mind you, it's where I learned how much dislike for the armed services that the school teachers have and suspect passed down to there audience.

Dit time!

I remember doing one somewhere north of Glasgow. Our Seaking Mk 5 approached the sports field, the designated landing area in the school grounds. Backing on to the school were some very nice bungalows and our arrival brought a few people out into their back gardens.

Now imaging a loverly set of patio doors wide open exposing living room!

A large pile of grass cuttings suitably sited!

Then we arrived and the downdraft picked up the grass cuttings and deposited them inside the open patio doors!!!!!!!!

Ooooooops!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

4. I remember one 819 PR stunt that went wrong. The 6 cabs were scheduled to do a flypast around Ayr & Kilmarnock schools.
    1 went u/s on the line (5)
    1 went u/s when about to take off (4)
    1 went downbird at kilmarnock (3)
    1 went downbird at Ayr (2)

landed on after flypast both went u/s on landing, panic ensued as the sqdn provided SAR cover for scotland, so a cab was flown up from Culdrose. The grubbers were pissed off as this all happened friday afternoon, i spent all weekend pulling cabs out for ground run & check test flights.
    I blame Darby, Ginge S, J Rae & Stevie P

5. Re: Daily Echo: Flying visit to North Dorset school by pilot

I must have been on M&M. :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. It was before your time Doug

7. Re: Daily Echo: Flying visit to North Dorset school by pilot

Not if the names above where there!

Darby was the longest serving from that lot, but Ginge Stevie and Jim were all my era. Rasssppppppppppppp :roll:

8. Think I got the timing wrong, it was during my 1st draft 78-81, but darby & ginge were there in 80/81 peds palmer was. The winchweights were better second time round when you were there - lol

9. Sounds better! I joined in 81 and Ginge appeared a wee while after me. Darby - Pedler, BJ Johnson was the CACMN. I thought Darby would die in 819 he was there so long!!!!!