Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dad having type 2 diabetes - Will this affect me in my medical

muskovardo

Lantern Swinger
Hi guys

My dad has Type 2 diabetes due to being very over weight. Will this affect my medical at all? Obviously i need to mention it as it is a family history but could this stop me from being accepted?

dave11

Badgeman
Wouldn't of thought so no. Ring up the AFCO and have a chat with them. They can give you the best answer.

slim

War Hero
I have type 2 diabetes probably for the same reason as your dad.
Neither my son or daughter has it and as far as I am aware it is not hereditary, the cause is most likely to be a lifestyle choice.
The resident Doc should be along soon though.:banned:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wouldn't of thought so no. Ring up the AFCO and have a chat with them. They can give you the best answer.

It would help if you gave your medical qualifications and or experience in the Recruiting field so that the OP. knows he is getting good advice from someone qualified to give it.

LujonSA

War Hero
Hi guys

My dad has Type 2 diabetes due to being very over weight. Will this affect my medical at all? Obviously i need to mention it as it is a family history but could this stop me from being accepted?

Only if you're thinking of using a blood sample taken from him; I'd use one of your own.

nemesis1066

Lantern Swinger
Hi guys

Afternoon, a Friday one at that!

But, Type 2 diabetes is generally linked to lifestyle, not genetics. The other version Type 1 can have genetic links, but this is also not the norm, but quite rare.

So, unless you are a body double for your Dad, just put it in the family history and that should be that.

That is all, weekend leave is piped!

Snowman91

Lantern Swinger
Muskovardo, all relatives over 40 on my father's side of the family all have type 2 diabeties. I put this on the paperwork and was a little worried as well. I got to the medical and the doctor told me that a relatives type 2 diabeties doesn't impact on your chances to join so long as they're not a dependant on you in some manner in which they could not survive without you for your naval career.

danny

War Hero
My great Grandad got shot in Mesopotamia, should I go see the PMO on Monday and see if I can get medically discharged?

Snowman91

Lantern Swinger
My Great-Great Grandfather was shot and killed at the battle of Little Big Horn. He wasn't a soldier, but was camping in the field next to that one and went over to complain about the noise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
C Cannot find my dad.! History 8
T I cannot find my Dad !!! The Fleet Air Arm 4
B Dad was on schooner Zuoduchos Pigi in WW2 The Fleet 0
C Advice for my dad - wanting to join RFA 1
S Certificate of service - my Dad History 4
sweetpea 'I was told to pay death duty on Dad's medals'. Current Affairs 14
Ageing_Gracefully Book competition: Dad's War by Chris Tarrant Competitions 17
S How did my dad get home? History 4
S Goshawk 1943 - Do you know anyone in this picture? My 92 year old Dad is one of them! History 8
A RIP dad Nearest & Dearest 7
R Security Screening- Concerned Dad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Pension advice for my dad please!! Finance & Pensions 4
R Trying to find my Dad History 7
trelawney126 Welcome Home. Dad The Fleet 14
trelawney126 Finknottles Dad bottles out of Dinner Bill The Gash Barge 2
S James bonds Dad /Pansy Potter Diamond Lil's 1
trelawney126 Finknottles Dad Drops a bollock Diamond Lil's 4
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Gosport dad and son team up in warzone" Current Affairs 1
drewfester Stay at home dad? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 8
G RN in Ceylon & India WW2 - My Dad served there. History 8
stan_the_man The day they took my dad away Diamond Lil's 4
hornpipe RIP, Dad Nearest & Dearest 16
sgtpepperband Dad to walk 100 miles in memory of Marine son Charity 3
SONAR-BENDER Bet his Dad's in the Mob!! Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Mirror: "Miranda Hart On How Her Falklands Hero Dad's Ship Was Bombed" History 4
stan_the_man The day I caught my dad cracking one off Diamond Lil's 12
A My Dad's a father Miscellaneous 0
soapy007 ELTON JOHN BECOMES A DAD Diamond Lil's 42
soleil Lancs. Evening Post: "Navy Dad Foils Somali Pirates" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
W Concerned Dad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil Daily Echo: Flying visit to North Dorset school by pilot dad The Fleet Air Arm 9
brigham600 Dad kicked like a football by young thugs Current Affairs 10
G I'm New But You May Have Known The G'dad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Monty's Dad butting in Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
N Dad wouldnt shut the **** up so i threw him outta a window Diamond Lil's 42
bigbaddog James Bonds Dad. RR Greatest Threads 170
I My dad's dagger The Corps 4
K Rejected after having done preliminary tests and medicals (overseas candidate) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS The importance of having a lawyer for a parole review - CEO blog MoD News 0
Knotty Help with having stopped smoking Nearest & Dearest 6
klgreload Having no GCSE certificates for Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 6
S First time having rash/ dermatitis Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
BigD1980 Incorrect Pension payments and Veterans Agency having none of it !! Finance & Pensions 8
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
D Will having engineering quals prior to joining, fast-track my career in the RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
Chaz Oops - Three Jan dockies will think about having kids! Submariners 7
FNUSNU Las Vegas women arrested for having sec with dog. The Gash Barge 15
SONAR-BENDER She's only 29, but is never having sex again. Diamond Lil's 47
scouse Diamond Jubilee Pageant.... I'm having some of that!! History 2