Dad having type 2 diabetes - Will this affect me in my medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by muskovardo, Jul 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys

My dad has Type 2 diabetes due to being very over weight. Will this affect my medical at all? Obviously i need to mention it as it is a family history but could this stop me from being accepted?

2. Wouldn't of thought so no. Ring up the AFCO and have a chat with them. They can give you the best answer.

3. I have type 2 diabetes probably for the same reason as your dad.
    Neither my son or daughter has it and as far as I am aware it is not hereditary, the cause is most likely to be a lifestyle choice.
    The resident Doc should be along soon though.:banned:

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It would help if you gave your medical qualifications and or experience in the Recruiting field so that the OP. knows he is getting good advice from someone qualified to give it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Only if you're thinking of using a blood sample taken from him; I'd use one of your own.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Afternoon, a Friday one at that!

But, Type 2 diabetes is generally linked to lifestyle, not genetics. The other version Type 1 can have genetic links, but this is also not the norm, but quite rare.

So, unless you are a body double for your Dad, just put it in the family history and that should be that.

That is all, weekend leave is piped!

7. My dad's dead and I got in.

• Like Like x 4
  8. What about Ken Dodds dads' dog....?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Did he die?

I'm lining you up

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  10. Muskovardo, all relatives over 40 on my father's side of the family all have type 2 diabeties. I put this on the paperwork and was a little worried as well. I got to the medical and the doctor told me that a relatives type 2 diabeties doesn't impact on your chances to join so long as they're not a dependant on you in some manner in which they could not survive without you for your naval career.

11. My great Grandad got shot in Mesopotamia, should I go see the PMO on Monday and see if I can get medically discharged?

12. My Great-Great Grandfather was shot and killed at the battle of Little Big Horn. He wasn't a soldier, but was camping in the field next to that one and went over to complain about the noise.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My dad was a short bald Yorkshire man and I still got in