Dad having type 2 diabetes - Will this affect me in my medical

muskovardo

Lantern Swinger
Hi guys

My dad has Type 2 diabetes due to being very over weight. Will this affect my medical at all? Obviously i need to mention it as it is a family history but could this stop me from being accepted?

I have type 2 diabetes probably for the same reason as your dad.
Neither my son or daughter has it and as far as I am aware it is not hereditary, the cause is most likely to be a lifestyle choice.
The resident Doc should be along soon though.:banned:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wouldn't of thought so no. Ring up the AFCO and have a chat with them. They can give you the best answer.
It would help if you gave your medical qualifications and or experience in the Recruiting field so that the OP. knows he is getting good advice from someone qualified to give it.

Hi guys

My dad has Type 2 diabetes due to being very over weight. Will this affect my medical at all? Obviously i need to mention it as it is a family history but could this stop me from being accepted?
Only if you're thinking of using a blood sample taken from him; I'd use one of your own.

nemesis1066

Lantern Swinger
Hi guys

Afternoon, a Friday one at that!

But, Type 2 diabetes is generally linked to lifestyle, not genetics. The other version Type 1 can have genetic links, but this is also not the norm, but quite rare.

So, unless you are a body double for your Dad, just put it in the family history and that should be that.

That is all, weekend leave is piped!

Snowman91

Lantern Swinger
Muskovardo, all relatives over 40 on my father's side of the family all have type 2 diabeties. I put this on the paperwork and was a little worried as well. I got to the medical and the doctor told me that a relatives type 2 diabeties doesn't impact on your chances to join so long as they're not a dependant on you in some manner in which they could not survive without you for your naval career.

Snowman91

Lantern Swinger
My Great-Great Grandfather was shot and killed at the battle of Little Big Horn. He wasn't a soldier, but was camping in the field next to that one and went over to complain about the noise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TerryB Blue Jokes 0
A Miscellaneous 0
J Blue Jokes 1