DAB/DAB+ anyone care to explain DRM?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by Pandaplodder, Apr 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found out over the weekend that it's a waste of time buying a DAB radio at present because the standards are being changed to DAB+ which existing DAB can't handle.

Anyway I have heard that there is something called DRM, anyone care to explain what that is all about?

2. DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale - blame the frenchies) is a method of producing digital radio signals using the AM broadcasting frequencies. It can produce FM quality radio, but using shortwave signals, and can have many more stations than current AM radio broadcasts for the same frequency range.

What does this mean to you? The range of the broadcast will be further, so you won't have to change stations on long drives. Signal quality behind hills will be better. More channels to choose from. FM quality on AM bands.

What does it mean to industry? DRM has been designed to function out of the box over current AM transmitters making it a very cost effective way to introduce digital technology to the shortwave bandwidth.

P.S. Not to be confused with DRM (digital rights management) which is the way in which record companies try to screw us out of even more readies...

3. TTJU..... you don't suffer DRM (digital rights management) with VINYL! :biggrin:

PS: You can still buy a limited range of vinyl in the UK from Naim (an excellent Scottish hifi company) and all Sigur Ros's stuff is available on vinyl. :razz:

4. Thanks, just needed to hear this again as it seemed to go against what I had been told about Medium Wave broadcasting having had its day.

Radio Luxembourg is apparently been trying to get back on air (its available via web radio) via DRM