D of E Leader

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by dyst0piate, Oct 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody been a DofE leader before? I've sent an e-mail asking for more details, just curious if anybody on here had done it.

I thought it'd develop my leadership skills, and I did a portion of my gold a few years ago. Would this be valuable at AIB?
  2. Taking youngsters into the hills floats your boat eh? Theres a name for people like you...........Gary :p
  3. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Not every adult who takes an interest in developing youth is fixated on kiddy-fiddling - is it any wonder that youth groups are suffering declining leadership numbers with attitudes such as this?
  4. It'll be me having to look out for them :p
  5. Oh relax Flags for gods sake. I was merely joking. Pretty sure I gave my post a light hearted feel to it. I volunteer with a local special needs youth group and its a great experience and something I recommend a person try if they are inclined towards volunteering
  6. As with any outdoories type of activity it will look good on your CV, shows a bit of self reliance and willingness to get off your chuff.
    Leadership of same is even better as hopefully you'll not only learn about getting the best out of your charges but perhaps learn things about yourself, ie how you react under pressure in different environments. This will give you the chance to overcome shortcomings and use them as examples in the future when an interviewer asks...."Can you give me an example of how you'd cope if...?"

Ignore juvenile sniping from naysayers. :roll:
  7. Since my attempt at a joke clearly didnt go down well I apologise to the OP. Wasnt my intention to belittle your desire to help out in any way. Back on subject. I imagine they might insist on CRB Vetting for doing this DoE leaders thingie but but thats something they would sort for you, was same with my CRB for the group I volunteer with. If the chance arises to do volunteer work Dys then go for it. The benefits for your CV are indeed nice as NZ has stated above but also the massive sense of achievemen t and of doing the right thing/making a difference is immense. Best of luck
  8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

If it was Lils the comment would have been ignored, but the answer wasn't approproiate for a serious question in a serious forum - OK maybe I came over a little over-serious, but I've I've been a Scout leader for the past few years and have seen the effects of such comments on potential adult leaders, as a leader I've also seen the effects that a shortage of leaders can have (more work for those of us that stay!).

It will look good on your CV, it will also teach you lots of invaluable life skills, particularly in dealing with teenagers (not easy!) and will also teach you a lot about yourself. Good luck!
  9. Fully understand your reaction Flag, I edited the quoted post with an apology as I realise it was maybe in poor taste. Wasnt intended as such.